All Apps and Add-ons

Microsoft Office 365 Reporting Add-on for Splunk: Why do I get the following error"HTTP Request error: 401 Client Error: Unauthorized" even though I am the global admin?

samhodgson
Path Finder

Hi,

Just setting up the Microsoft Office 365 Reporting Add-on for Splunk, im a global admin in o365 but cant authenticate against the below URL (have tried manually in the browser)

2018-02-20 14:35:09,114 ERROR pid=2418 tid=MainThread file=base_modinput.py:log_error:307 | HTTP Request error: 401 Client Error: Unauthorized for url: https://reports.office365.com/ecp/reportingwebservice/reporting.svc/MessageTrace?$format=json&orderb...359Z'
I guess this is a new restriction on the Microsoft side? is anyone else using this method successfully?

There is an alternative (long winded) method detailed in the below doc which uses an Azure playbook and a Splunk HTTP Endpoint Collector:

https://www.splunk.com/blog/2017/10/05/splunking-microsoft-cloud-data-part-3.html

0 Karma

pallavi7mentor

In order to retrieve the logging data necessary, you need to grant a user object the ability to read the message tracking logs. By default, Exchange Online doesn’t have a role with only that as its permission (or anything really close), so we’re going to:

Create a user account
Create a role group
Add some roles to it (Message Tracking, View-Only Audit Logs, View-Only Configuration, View-Only Recipients)
Add the newly created user to it
Note: Only the ViewOnlyRecipients role is needed for the add-on to work, as that is what the reporting services API requires. I’ve found it’s useful, though, to have the others so you can check the message trace, message tracking, transport configuration, and message audit data with one account. If you are going for a least-privilege configuration, remove the MessageTracking, ViewOnlyAuditLogs, and ViewOnlyConfiguration lines.

Regards : sevenmentor.com/office-365-admin-training-in-pune.php

0 Karma

pallavi7mentor

In order to retrieve the logging data necessary, you need to grant a user object the ability to read the message tracking logs. By default, Exchange Online doesn’t have a role with only that as its permission (or anything really close), so we’re going to:

Create a user account
Create a role group
Add some roles to it (Message Tracking, View-Only Audit Logs, View-Only Configuration, View-Only Recipients)
Note: Only the ViewOnlyRecipients role is needed for the add-on to work, as that is what the reporting services API requires. I’ve found it’s useful, though, to have the others so you can check the message trace, message tracking, transport configuration, and message audit data with one account. If you are going for a least-privilege configuration, remove the MessageTracking, ViewOnlyAuditLogs, and ViewOnlyConfiguration lines.

Regards : office 365 admin training in pune

,In order to retrieve the logging data necessary, you need to grant a user object the ability to read the message tracking logs. By default, Exchange Online doesn’t have a role with only that as its permission (or anything really close), so we’re going to:

Create a user account
Create a role group

Regards : office 365 admin training in pune

0 Karma

jconger
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Are you able to run a Message Trace Report from the Office 365 Admin Center? https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj200712(v=exchg.150).aspx

Whatever credentials you use there will work with the add-on. Also, you can use cURL or Postman outside of Splunk for testing. See this answer for more detail about using Postman -> https://answers.splunk.com/answers/637059/why-am-i-getting-an-error-instead-of-data-with-mso.html

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...