All Apps and Add-ons

How to monitor admin users logged on/authenticated but no session activities for 30mins

lakshman239
Influencer

I am trying to create an alert to track admin users logged on to windows servers, but not performing any activities even after 30mins of logging in/authentication.

index=main (eventtype=logon_activity OR eventtype=wineventlog_security OR eventtype=wineventlog_system)

In windows logs, I can use Logon_id to track sessions, but need to find out the age/delta time which is more than 30mins.

Any suggestions/thoughts? Thanks in advance.

0 Karma
1 Solution

sundareshr
Legend

Try this

base search | reverse | streamstats window=1 current=f latest(_time) as next_activity by user | eval next_activity=coalesce(next_activity, now()) | eval gap=next_activity-_time | where gap>1800

View solution in original post

0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

Try this

base search | reverse | streamstats window=1 current=f latest(_time) as next_activity by user | eval next_activity=coalesce(next_activity, now()) | eval gap=next_activity-_time | where gap>1800
0 Karma

lakshman239
Influencer

I have a slightly different problem now.. trying to find no session activities in unix/linux using /var/log/secure and nix add-on. I have tried a few options using stats/eventstats/streamstats, but running into issue, as i don't have a common field...

https://answers.splunk.com/answers/448591/statseventstats-how-to-track-open-session-when-clo.html

0 Karma

lakshman239
Influencer

Thanks Sundaresh. That helps

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer at Splunk .conf24 ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...