All Apps and Add-ons

How to get the missing eventtype hostmon_windows in Splunk to generate the disk usage report for our host?

kkossery
Communicator

I wanted a disk report of my Windows systems and ran the following search,

eventtype=hostmon_windows Type=Disk host="*" FileSystem="*" DriveType="*" | dedup host, Name | eval FreeSpacePct=round(FreeSpaceKB/TotalSpaceKB*100) | eval TotalSpaceGB=round(TotalSpaceKB/1024/1024) | eval FreeSpaceGB=round(FreeSpaceKB/1024/1024) | search FreeSpacePct="*" TotalSpaceGB="*" | dedup host, Name, DriveType, TotalSpaceGB, FreeSpaceGB, FreeSpacePct | table host, Name, DriveType, TotalSpaceGB, FreeSpaceGB, FreeSpacePct

The search doesn't give any result. I checked if the eventtype exists by just putting,

eventtype=hostmon_windows

and this fails as well which means the eventtype doesn't exist in Splunk. How can I make sure this does and get Splunk to generate the disk usage report of our hosts.

1 Solution

jbouch03
Path Finder

It's packaged as part of Splunk_TA_windows. Did you load the TA correctly, and add the stanza to the local/inputs.conf file in Splunk_TA_windows?

View solution in original post

jbouch03
Path Finder

It's packaged as part of Splunk_TA_windows. Did you load the TA correctly, and add the stanza to the local/inputs.conf file in Splunk_TA_windows?

kkossery
Communicator

what is the block of code that has to be added to inputs.conf.
need to verify this

0 Karma

jbouch03
Path Finder

It looks like it comes from any stanza starting with [WinHostMon://]. I use [WinHostMon://disk] [WinHostMon://computer] and [WinHostMon://service] to create the eventtype. However, your original query states that you are specifically looking for the type disk, so here is my disk stanza:
[WinHostMon://disk]
type=disk
interval=300

kkossery
Communicator

Thanks! That worked.
I didn't have this entry on my inputs.conf.

0 Karma

jbouch03
Path Finder

Not a problem...remember to set your interval time accordingly. 300 is 5 minutes, but you probably won't need that much in your report. The higher the interval time the less license you will eat up during the day.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...