All Apps and Add-ons

How should I install and configure Splunk DB Connect 2 in my current Splunk 6.1.2 environment?

tattersp
Explorer

I have a single search head and 2 indexers (not clustered) and about 100 universal forwarders that point to either indexer in case one indexer is offline.

I have Monitoring of Java Machines (JMX) loaded on only one indexer (not ideal), but is working.

I have an application using the ReST interface sending data to the other indexer (not ideal), but is working.

I now want to install DB Connect into this existing infrastructure. I am using it only to read tables on database (no writes to DB) and could use it later for database lookups.

1. Where do I install the Resource Master Node?
  2. Where do I install the resource pool nodes?
  3. Is there a better configuration for the JMX and ReST add on's to make them more fault tolerant.

Thanks

0 Karma

jcoates_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi,

I would run DB Connect on the search head in this environment and not worry about resource pool. If you want to have the configuration be more fault tolerant and you have more hardware, you could go to search head clustering and the connections will make it through a search head failure. The resource pool thing is more about scaling than fault tolerance.

tattersp
Explorer

I am running Splunk 6.1.2 on Search head and both indexers.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...