All Apps and Add-ons

How do I verify my monitoring of a log file in Splunk Add-on for Microsoft Windows?

mikemohawk
Explorer

I want to monitor the Sailpoint.log file on a Windows client. I've put both the full path and just the directory. The last to lines in the file have been both commented and uncommented. I've also run btool to see if there is a syntax error.
inputs.conf entry
[monitor://C:\Identity IQ]

disabled = false

whitelist = .log

I am very new to this and more of a linux guy. Is this syntax correct? If so can someone give me the precise syntax to use for a search?

Regards

mikemohawk
Explorer

Consider this question answered by the requester.

0 Karma

brad_thomas
Explorer

Your last 2 lines are commented out. Remove the '#' from each line so it reads:

[monitor://C:\Identity IQ]
disabled = false
whitelist = .log

Then to verify that log files are being indexed, you can run the following search (with the correct time frame selected)

source="C:\Identity IQ*"

This will return any files that have been indexed in that directory.

0 Karma

mikemohawk
Explorer

Thank you Brad.

0 Karma

mikemohawk
Explorer

I've tried it multiple times and still doesn't work.
I don't have direct access to the server so I have a Windows admin running commands and he's tried **splunk add monitor c:\Identity IQ\
error : Must be in the form '-parameter value"
Also tried
C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\bin>splunk add monitor “c:\Identity IQ\”
Same error message. Using both inputs.conf and CLI it fails. Can't be this hard to just add this path. Been looking for answers out here for over a day with no luck. Did this in linux in 5 minutes. Suggestions would greatly be appreciated.
Thanks

0 Karma

Richfez
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@mikemohawk,

Did this resolve your issue? If so, I can move the comment by brad_thomas to an answer so you could mark it accepted?

If not, then no worries, just post back with what it's doing now! (Personally, I thought you need a backslash at the end of the monitor stanza name, but I can certainly be wrong).

0 Karma

mikemohawk
Explorer

what is this moderation issue? Are they expecting more information?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...