All Apps and Add-ons

How can I make a copy of the App and replace microsoft_trace_url to use MailDetailMalware API?

dpanych
Communicator

Currently I'm using the App and it's pulling Message Trace event successfully. I want to make a second copy of the App and replace microsoft_trace_url to use ** https://reports.office365.com/ecp/reportingwebservice/reporting.svc/MailDetailMalware? ** and would also like to change the Sourcetype to ** ms:o365:reporting:maildetailmalware**. The MailDetailMalware API works the same as MessageTrace API, so no other changes need to be made to the script. I tried making a copy of the App, renaming any content/scripts/variables/filenames that mention message_trace or messagetrace to a different variant, and it still did not work. This is my first time modifying a Splunk App that was built with the Add-on Builder, so I'm not 100% sure all that needs to be modified. I know the URL is modified in input_module_ms_o365_message_trace.py, but I'm not sure about the Sourcetype. Like I said, I've tried renaming the App and its content so that I can run the two apps side by side, but was not successful. It seemed to error because of duplicate (maybe?) app IDs.

@jconger - Any advice?

0 Karma

jconger
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The easiest way to do this is to create a new add-on using the Add-on Builder. This way, your changes will not get wiped out when new versions of the existing add-on get released. Here are the steps at a high level:

1. Download and install the Splunk Add-on Builder
  2. Create a new add-on
  3. Create an input for your add-on. Specify that the input will use your own Python code.
  4. Specify parameters for your input (use the same ones as the O365 reporting add-on if you like)
  5. Copy the contents of the input_module_ms_o365_message_trace.py and paste them into the code window in the add-on builder.
  6. Make any changes necessary.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...