All Apps and Add-ons

From LDAP to LDAPS (LDAP + SSL enabled)

Marco-IT
Path Finder

Hi,

we're already using LDAP in order to access to Splunk, but now we need to "switch" to LDAPS.

I've read the port needs to be 636 and "SSL enabled" flagged, but the message "You must also have SSL enabled on your LDAP server" confuses me.

Should I do something else? Do I need to change .pem certificate? If so, on the cluster master?

i've found this conf file: $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/openldap/certs/ldap.conf, I guess I also need to modify it.

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

LDAP.JPG

Labels (3)
0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

LDAP without TLS normally use port 389 on LDAP server side. And TLS enabled it usually is 636. Of course those could be something else.

As error message said when you check "Enable SSL" box it just switch TLS protocol to use, but it didn't change your LDAP server's port. Now it try to connect with TLS to port which aren't use TLS so it failed. You need to change you host's port on configuration to 636 to use your LDAP server's TLS port aka LDAPS.

If these two things (enable ssl + change port) didn't help, then you must contact your LDAP admin and ask in which port it is running LDAPS and/or is it supporting LDAPS.

r. Ismo

0 Karma

Marco-IT
Path Finder

Thank you @isoutamo for your answer!
So I understand I just need to change the port and flag the option "SSL enabled", right?

Nothing to do with the certificate? Is there a way to check what's the LDAP server from Splunk?

Marco

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Exactly that way.

If/when you have already working LDAP connection from splunk without TLS, it's usually just change those two items to get it working with TLS. Of course it needs that port 636 has opened on all FWs between splunk and your ldap server.

0 Karma

Marco-IT
Path Finder

@isoutamo Great, and what about the new CA certificate I received? Where should I put it?

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If your company is using private CA which are not known by your host you should ask that your server staff will add it as trust CAs on OS level.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...