All Apps and Add-ons

Error from Splunk Add-on for AWS

phudinhha
Explorer

Dear Team,

This is my setup for analyzing log from S3:

1 - splunk enterprise 8.1 for standalone VM.

2 - S3 IAM role for bucket with logs.

3 - I installed Splunk Add-on for AWS

4 - for first run, everything is okay. However, i shutdown the VM, and increased the RAM for this VM. and here the problem start:

Query from the health Check:

Index=“_internal”  (host=“*”)   (sourcetype=aws:s3:log OR sourcetype=aws:logs:log OR sourcetype=aws:sqsbaseds3:log OR sourcetype=aws:description:log OR sourcetype=aws:cloudwatch:log)   (datainput=“*”)   level=ERROR                  message=“Failed to collect data through generic S3.” | fillnull value=“” ErrorCode, ErrorDetail                 | eval ErrorDetail = if((ErrorDetail == “” or ErrorDetail == “‘’“) and !isnull(message), message, ErrorDetail)

Response:

2020-10-24 01:23:18,036 level=ERROR pid=25464 tid=Thread-7 logger=splunk_ta_aws.modinputs.generic_s3.aws_s3_data_loader pos=aws_s3_data_loader.py:index_data:91 | datainput=“bucket-log” bucket_name=“logs-storage” | message=“Failed to collect data through generic S3.” start_time=1603473783 job_uid=“f852cf4b-f1fe-4197-bf93-3494f3d2adb7"
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File “/opt/splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_aws/bin/splunk_ta_aws/modinputs/generic_s3/aws_s3_data_loader.py”, line 86, in index_data
    self._do_index_data()
  File “/opt/splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_aws/bin/splunk_ta_aws/modinputs/generic_s3/aws_s3_data_loader.py”, line 107, in _do_index_data
    self.collect_data()
  File “/opt/splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_aws/bin/splunk_ta_aws/modinputs/generic_s3/aws_s3_data_loader.py”, line 153, in collect_data
    self._discover_keys(index_store)
  File “/opt/splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_aws/bin/splunk_ta_aws/modinputs/generic_s3/aws_s3_data_loader.py”, line 233, in _discover_keys
    for key in keys:
  File “/opt/splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_aws/bin/splunk_ta_aws/modinputs/generic_s3/aws_s3_common.py”, line 227, in get_keys
    for key in keys:
  File “/opt/splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_aws/bin/splunk_ta_aws/modinputs/generic_s3/aws_s3_common.py”, line 196, in bucket_lister
    encoding_type=encoding_type)
  File “/opt/splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_aws/bin/3rdparty/python3/solnlib/utils.py”, line 172, in wrapper
    raise last_ex
  File “/opt/splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_aws/bin/3rdparty/python3/solnlib/utils.py”, line 159, in wrapper
    return func(*args, **kwargs)
  File “/opt/splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_aws/bin/splunk_ta_aws/modinputs/generic_s3/aws_s3_common.py”, line 186, in get_all_keys
    encoding_type=encoding_type)
  File “/opt/splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_aws/bin/3rdparty/python3/boto/s3/bucket.py”, line 474, in get_all_keys
    ‘’, headers, **params)
  File “/opt/splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_aws/bin/3rdparty/python3/boto/s3/bucket.py”, line 412, in _get_all
    response.status, response.reason, body)
boto.exception.S3ResponseError: S3ResponseError: 400 Bad Request
<?xml version=“1.0" encoding=“UTF-8”?>
<Error><Code>ExpiredToken</Code><Message>The provided token has expired.</Message><Token-0>xxxx</Token-0><RequestId>aaaaaaa</RequestId><HostId>Ibbbbb</HostId></Error>

I would like to know what the root cause of this? and how to fix it?

Labels (1)
0 Karma

phuha
Loves-to-Learn Everything

@kennetkline I'm using Hyper-V manager, and as far as I know, the time setup on both the VM and the server are correct. It takes the time of the host machine. Is there any place that i should check Ken?

0 Karma

phudinhha
Explorer

thank you Sir. Let me try again 🙂

0 Karma

kennetkline
Path Finder

Ok;  VM,  

Time is off too far;  Says expired token in your log.

I have seen too often;  staff don't setup (ntp) on the Esxi servers.  Then VM's around build and powered on with the time of (years in the future)   and jacking up images and after patching etc they fix the timestamps and stuff is crap.  This impacts ad /etc.

Check and enable NTP on (Esxi)  / Check enable NTP sync on the VM, check the time.  then try again

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...