All Apps and Add-ons

Dynamic Pulldown not populating with fields coming from automatic lookups

wpreston
Motivator

The Sideview Report Builder (and subsequent dynamic dropdowns that I've tried to create) will pick up the fields I've defined in props.conf/transforms.conf, but does not pick up any fields that are defined by an automatic lookup. For instance, I have a "User-ID" field that I extract from the logs, and I have an automatic lookup based on User-ID that creates the "Full-Name" field. So when the dropdown box populates, I get the User-ID field in the dynamic dropdown box, but not the Full-Name field.

I've run the search macro that is used in the Sideview Report Builder to get the data for the Fields dynamic dropdown box (get_fields_for_report_pulldowns). If I append that to the end of a normal search, it does show the fields that come from an automatic lookup, they just don't show up in a dynamic dropdown. How can I get the fields from automatic lookups to be present in the dynamic dropdown box?

1 Solution

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Well Pulldown modules are regularly used to display both kinds of fields in various apps so I know that there is no fundamental problem here or fundamental difference between the treatment of each kind of field.

However I think what's happening is that your props.conf/transforms.conf extractions are scoped at the system level so that they run for all searches across all apps, whereas your automatic lookup configuration is instead scoped at the app level.

I will bet that you're testing out the search language in the app where the automatic lookups are defined, and the macro is finding the fields just fine, and then you're testing the Sideview Report Builder in the Sideview utils app (of course), and the automatic lookup config just does not run in that app context.

Can you check whether this is the case?

View solution in original post

0 Karma

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Well Pulldown modules are regularly used to display both kinds of fields in various apps so I know that there is no fundamental problem here or fundamental difference between the treatment of each kind of field.

However I think what's happening is that your props.conf/transforms.conf extractions are scoped at the system level so that they run for all searches across all apps, whereas your automatic lookup configuration is instead scoped at the app level.

I will bet that you're testing out the search language in the app where the automatic lookups are defined, and the macro is finding the fields just fine, and then you're testing the Sideview Report Builder in the Sideview utils app (of course), and the automatic lookup config just does not run in that app context.

Can you check whether this is the case?

0 Karma

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Great to hear. 😃

0 Karma

wpreston
Motivator

This was exactly the problem. Thank you for your answer!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...