All Apps and Add-ons

Decode indexer name hashes (GUID) from license_usage.log

Spelunke
Path Finder

In license_usage.log the indexers appears as a kind of hash value (i=...):

01-02-2012 16:56:16.516 +0100 INFO  LicenseUsage - type=Usage s="udp:514" st="cisco_asa" h="172.16.22.7" o="" i="821C72AB-3C16-4124-B278-6C02F448DC22" pool="mypool" b=17906 poolsz=100000

For reporting I want to look up the real names of the indexers. Is there an internal lookup table for doing this?

Update: This field is the GUID of the system. But how to lookup the system name?

cyvi01
Path Finder

For Splunk 7 & 8 at least:

To get the daily ingestion per indexer with the hostname rather than the GUID following your time range picker selection.

index=_telemetry source=*license_usage_summary.log* type="RolloverSummary"
| join type=inner slave [ | rest /servicesNS/-/-/search/distributed/peers splunk_server=local | table guid host | rename guid AS slave ]
| search host=*PATTERN*
| timechart span=1d eval(round(latest(b) / 1024 / 1024 / 1024, 3)) AS sizeGB BY host useother=f

Replace PATTERN by your indexers hostname convention.

0 Karma

mlf
Path Finder

Assuming Splunk 6.x or better:

| rest /services/cluster/config 
| fields splunk_server guid
0 Karma

Jason
Motivator

Provided the indexers in question are also peers of this particular search head, you can join with this REST query from any, not just the license master:

rest /services/search/distributed/peers 
| table guid peerName

rphillips_splk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

don't forget the | before rest.
|rest /services/search/distributed/peers
| table guid peerName

0 Karma

Jason
Motivator

Yes, you can look up the hostname of the licenser slave in 4.3+ via the following:

Be sure to select a type of log in license_usage.log to avoid double-counting statistics.

index=_internal source=*license_usage.log type=Usage
| join type=left i 
    [rest count=0 /services/licenser/slaves 
    | rename label as slave 
    | rename title as i 
    | table i slave]

The new "slave" field (or whatever you choose to rename label as) will now appear in the results.

Jason
Motivator

Remember you can just browse https://splunkinstance:8089 with a browser, and look for interesting things.

0 Karma

sowings
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Clever. I'll have to remember this endpoint.

0 Karma

gmti
Engager

I'm sorry, but this is a lousy way to present information back to administrators during a rolling restart. You can't ping based on an indexer's Guid, you can't ssh to a Guid, you can't use the Guid in your web browser, so if there is a problem with an indexer in the cluster resolve it yourself. I brought this issue up with Splunk Professional Services and our sales engineers. I guess Splunk wanted to add back a little of the SH they have been taking out of IT.

0 Karma

Jason
Motivator

This feedback would be better off as a Enhancement Request to Splunk (a P4 to Splunk Support), rather than on here where they may not see it.

0 Karma

sowings
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

| rest /services/configs/conf-server/general

If you want to look for a specific server by its hostname, you can add splunk_server=<name> to the end of that search.

0 Karma

sowings
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

No; it only polls search peers by default. I suppose you could try splunk_server=<license_master> to the rest call, but that presumes that you have access to the license master itself.

0 Karma

Jason
Motivator

This does not display all the license slaves, it seems.

0 Karma

Spelunke
Path Finder

To answer my own question:

According to a Splunk guy it’s not possible to lookup the GUID internally.

I build a external lookup table to do that.

0 Karma

Jason
Motivator

It is possible with the rest command, available in 4.3 onwards. See my answer.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...