All Apps and Add-ons

Changing the incident_key parameter

hcannon
Path Finder

This app is sending over an incident_key parameter in each message when triggering a PagerDuty alert. The incident_key parameter seems to default to the Splunk saved search name.

This is causing an issue: when an alert triggers multiple times, the message is attributed to the already open PagerDuty incident (which had been acknowledged) and not triggering a new page.

I need to be able to update the incident_key parameter to either not use the Splunk saved search name and instead use a token from the search results, or just do something basic like throw a datestamp in there, so that a new pager duty incident is created each time the Splunk alert fires.

I've poked around in the app code and the area where the saved search name is attributed to the incident_key isn't jumping out at me, so looking to see if anyone else has successfully changed this parameter or has any suggestions.

Example of the json snippet that PD app is sending to the PD events API:

{
  "client": "Splunk",
  "client_url": ".../app/SplunkEnterpriseSecuritySuite/@go?sid=scheduler__xxx__xxx_at_1514723580_78469",
  "description": "Saved Search Name",
  "details": {
    "info": "high",
    "column": "severity"
  },
  "event_type": "trigger",
  "incident_key": "Saved Search Name",
  "service_key": "xxxxxxxxxxxx"
}
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...