All Apps and Add-ons

Can we configure the Splunk App for Unix and Linux to search multiple indexes without creating multiple versions of the app?

pgsplunk91

What I want is to make the Splunk App for Unix and Linux search two indexes: one is by default the 'os' index and another index of my choice. Is it possible?

0 Karma

davebo1896
Communicator

Add this into local/macros.conf
[os_index]
definition = index=os OR index=myindex

0 Karma

michaelsimko

Yes, you can make the SA_nix search two indexes.

To do this, you are going to need to edit local versions of two files, and then restart Splunk. I included example folders, but your structure may vary.

Step 1: Create a local folder under the SA_nix app (example: /opt/splunk/etc/apps/SA_nix/local).

Step 2: From SA_nix, copy (while keeping the same permissions) both savedsearches.conf and macros.conf from the SA_nix/default directory and into SA_nix/local.
(example: cp -rp /opt/splunk/etc/apps/SA_nix/default/macros.conf /opt/splunk/etc/apps/SA_nix/local/).

Step 3: Edit local/macros.conf to include your desired index
Delete everything in the file
Add the following:

[os_index]
definition = (index=”os” index=”YOURNEWINDEX”)

Example:
[os_index]
definition = (index=”os” OR index=”otherlinuxgoo”)

Step 4: Edit local/savedsearches.conf
Delete everything in the file
Add the following:

[os_index]
[UNIX - Timechart Config Changes]
search = (index="os" OR index=”YOURNEWINDEX”) eventtype="nix_configs" | strcat source "@" host changelist | timechart count by changelist

Example:
[UNIX - Timechart Config Changes]
search = (index="os" OR index=”otherlinuxgoo”) eventtype="nix_configs" | strcat source "@" host changelist | timechart count by changelist

Step 5: Restart Splunk

Step 6: Validate it worked.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...