All Apps and Add-ons

Can Sideview Search module wait for submit button?

richnavis
Contributor

I'm using sideview utils to dynamically populate dropdown boxes when I load a view. The first second box will update based on the value of the chosen for the first dropdown box. However, I don't want the results of the downstream searches that use the values the user choses to execute until the user chooses the timerangepicker and chooses submit. is this possible?

1 Solution

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can use the Button module below your form element modules, and set the allowSoftSubmit param to False, eg:

<module name="Button">
  <param name="allowSoftSubmit">False</param>

The Button module also has a param called allowAutoSubmit. If you are using the URLLoader module in this view to allow you to link to this view and prepopulate the selected items in the Pulldowns from drilldown arguments, then you should learn about both of them.

Basically, allowSoftSubmit controls whether the user has to click the green button to submit the main search, but allowSoftSubmit does NOT prevent the initial submit when the page is loading and it is given drilldown arguments from another page and &autoRun=True. Instead that's what 'allowAutoSubmit' is for. with allowAutoSubmit you can basically allow autoRun logic to run in the top half of the view, but stop dead before submitting whatever searches are below your Button.

View solution in original post

tmarlette
Motivator

Also, there is a parameter for 'auto run' in the pulldown module. If you change this to 'false' it may help you as well. by default I believe it's set to yes.

if you're using the sideview editor just 'edit' all parameters on that module in your specific view. You will see it when you scroll to the bottom.

0 Karma

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I'm sorry to contradict, but there is no param called autoRun on the Pulldown module. The Sideview Editor may be a little misleading here -- autoRun is not a param on any particular module, but an attribute that you can put onto any module. If you take another look at the Editor interface you'll see some docs come up in the lower left when you're editing autoRun. you should also be very sparing with it and only put it up at the top of chains of modules. Furthermore setting autoRun to False will do nothing - not just for Pulldown but nothing for every module you might put it on.

0 Karma

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can use the Button module below your form element modules, and set the allowSoftSubmit param to False, eg:

<module name="Button">
  <param name="allowSoftSubmit">False</param>

The Button module also has a param called allowAutoSubmit. If you are using the URLLoader module in this view to allow you to link to this view and prepopulate the selected items in the Pulldowns from drilldown arguments, then you should learn about both of them.

Basically, allowSoftSubmit controls whether the user has to click the green button to submit the main search, but allowSoftSubmit does NOT prevent the initial submit when the page is loading and it is given drilldown arguments from another page and &autoRun=True. Instead that's what 'allowAutoSubmit' is for. with allowAutoSubmit you can basically allow autoRun logic to run in the top half of the view, but stop dead before submitting whatever searches are below your Button.

richnavis
Contributor

tried that out.. and it worked perfectly.. thanks!

0 Karma

richnavis
Contributor

Thanks.. I just started using Sideview, and really like it, will try this parameter out.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...