All Apps and Add-ons

Can AWS CLI be configured to use the Python that comes with Splunk?

MikeBertelsen
Communicator

When I run the cli below it works but fails because the python version on the Linux server is 2.6.6.
AWS_ACCESS_KEY_ID=... AWS_SECRET_ACCESS_KEY=... aws s3 sync /opt/splunk/aws_cisco/ s3://cisco-managed-us.../...

see https://urllib3.readthedocs.io/en/latest/advanced-usage.html#ssl-warnings
SNIMissingWarning

But Splunk is using version 2.7.13 which per the link above would work.
Is there a way to run the cli via a splunk cmd? My attempts have failed so far.

Tags (2)
0 Karma

MikeBertelsen
Communicator

Whereas it probably can be done the final 'supported' solution was the python3 for RHEL6.
There is also a side note regarding syntax:
AWS_ACCESS_KEY_ID=... AWS_SECRET_ACCESS_KEY=... aws s3 sync /opt/splunk/aws_cisco/ s3://cisco-managed-us.../...
should have been written as:
AWS_ACCESS_KEY_ID=... AWS_SECRET_ACCESS_KEY=... aws s3 sync s3://cisco-managed-us.../.../ /opt/splunk/aws_cisco/

Because the goal was to sync the s3 bucket to the local storage at which point Splunk could read the files in the local storage and ingest the desired data.

0 Karma

amiracle
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Why not upgrade the version of python on the linux server? I don't think pathing it through Splunk would work due to the aws cli possible dependencies.

0 Karma

MikeBertelsen
Communicator

It has to be a version that RHEL supports.
Per a server tech "Red Hat has another Repo that has python3 for RHEL6 in it" so we are checking that now

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...