All Apps and Add-ons

BundleArchiver - Filtered nothing out of local.meta, but size still changed

raziasaduddin
Path Finder

I keep getting this message every few minutes for the a specific app that I haven't changed in months.

"WARN BundleArchiver - Filtered nothing out of Splunk\etc\apps\myapp\metadata\local.meta, but size still changed: original_size=122, filtered_size=117, cosmetic_bytes=0"

How can I get rid of this error?

Tags (2)

ww9rivers
Communicator

I've been getting the same WARN messages, although on a Linux search head.

In my case, I found that the "local.meta" was a Windows text file (with CR+LF at the end of each line). I did a "cat local.meta" on the Linux host's command line and then copy-n-pasted the contents to a new local.meta file.

That stopped splunkd from complaining in the splunkd.log file.

I figured out the file format using "hexdump -c local.meta" on the Linux host -- If you see "\r \n" sequences in the output, it's a Windows text file. I guess splunkd expects to see UNIX text file for "local.meta".

In my case, the "local.meta" file is distributed by a deployment server, which is Windows. Maybe "local.meta" should not have been deployed that way at all?

chans28
Explorer

In my case it was manually deployed to the HF and I couldn't see any windows carriage returns or line feeds but I still ran dos2unix on my local.meta anyways and restarted the HF and the log entries disappeared. I had to install it first. 

>yum install dos2unix
>dos2unix local.meta

0 Karma

aelliott
Motivator

I'm getting this Warning too many times within my log files:
WARN BundleArchiver -
Filtered nothing out of C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\apps\maps\metadata\local.meta, but size still changed: original_size=92, filtered_size=84, cosmetic_bytes=1

WARN BundleArchiver -
Filtered nothing out of C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\apps\sideview_utils\metadata\local.meta, but size still changed: original_size=322, filtered_size=302, cosmetic_bytes=3

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...