All Apps and Add-ons

Bluecoat Proxy SG : Splunk not recognizing sourcetype

willadams
Contributor

I am having issues with the Bluecoat TA in my environment. I am trying this on our Dev environment before I send to our Production environment.

I have followed the installation steps mentioned in the TA (https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/AddOns/released/BlueCoatProxySG/Configureinputs) and I am running SPLUNK v 7.2.6 with version 3.5.0 of the TA. The Bluecoat has been configured to send logs using the standard bcreportermain_v1 log and configured as W3C and ELFF and is a stream.

SPLUNK has had a TCP data input created with the port set as TCP/514 and the sourcetype configured as
"bluecoat:proxysg:access:syslog" and in my test environment a new index called "bluecoat_dev".

Once configured I can verify that I am receiving logs. The logs look the way I expect, but SPLUNK effectively has this as 1 liner and not using the TA to extract the data into the required fields.

If I search by the index it shows the above information but if I search by the sourcetype I receive "0 results" which definitely indicates that SPLUNK is not recognizing or using the sourcetype.

Would appreciate any insight into where this might be going wrong.

0 Karma

jnudell_2
Builder

Hi @willadams ,

My experience with Bluecoat Proxy SG data is that the data and underlying format of the data seems to change frequently after Bluecoat makes a code change. This makes it hard to track down what settings to use for your Bluecoat devices, and even harder if you're running different versions of the software.

In your case however, it appears that the TA is not updated enough to accommodate your new proxy. The TA only supports up to version 6.6.x, and you're running v6.7.

You'll need to read through the Admin manual for v6.7 to determine the fields, and then create a new props.conf & transforms.conf REPORT to extract those fields. You can use the existing v6.5 & v6.6.x REPORT settings as a guideline.

If you're not familiar with doing this kind of work, consider reaching out to Splunk to see if they have an Admin-on-demand or Professional Services solution that meets your needs. This is probably about a day or two of work from a Professional Services perspective.

0 Karma

DavidHourani
Super Champion

Hi @willadams,

Have you installed the TA on the indexer to define the source type for the input on the receiving end ?

Make sure your input on port 5156 is configured with the right sourcetype and the index time configuration for that sourcetype is on the indexer. If you don't know what to put on the indexer then you can start by installing the entire TA there for the props/transforms configuration.

Cheers,
David

0 Karma

willadams
Contributor

The instance I am sending my data to is an all in one single deployment (this is my test environment). I have the entire TA installed. In fact I went through and removed the old version and removed the app from my instance. I then reinstalled the most recent version for the Bluecoat TA.

0 Karma

oscar84x
Contributor

Try running the following command in the CLI. It will show you what configs are being applied to that specific input and might show if a different sourcetype is being applied first based on precedence order.

splunk btool inputs list TCP/514 --debug
0 Karma

willadams
Contributor

I have my input via port 5156 and when running this I get no result.

0 Karma

oscar84x
Contributor

Whatever goes after list just needs to identify your input stanza, so try anything that's part of it. If it still doesn't work just try it without that parameter, you just have to dig through through all the input configurations. (both examples below)

splunk btool inputs list anything_that_is_part_of_the_input_stanza --debug

OR

splunk btool inputs list --debug

0 Karma

jnudell_2
Builder

What information does Splunk have for the source & sourcetype when you search the index for this data?

0 Karma

CrackMyPc

Awesome Article! I am sharing this piece of work. Very good item.
I've been aware of my stuff previous to and you are simply too excellent.
<a href="https://crackmypc.com/ableton-live-10-1-30-crack/"> Ableton live 10 Crack</a>

0 Karma

willadams
Contributor

I have 2 proxies that I am sending data from

** Older proxy (version 6.5) index shows:

host=hostname
source = tcp:5156
sourcetype = bluecoat:proxysg:access:syslog
linecount = 1
Event is \x81\xFAn/XeFu...........\xF7x\xBF.......

** New proxy (version 6.7)

host=hostname
source = tcp.bluecoat (note ".") - this sources contains 99% of the count !!! it also shows another source being tcp:514 (note ":")
eventtype = bluecoat_proxy (100% of count) !!! also has another eventtype of err0r (12%)
linecount = 1

Event shows as per bcreportermain_v1. For example (substituted IP and URI)

2019-06-21 03:55:42 6111 192.168.1.10 - - - google.com 8.8.8.8 None - - OBSERVED "Technology" - 0 TUNNELED unknown - ssl google.com 443 / - - - 192.168.1.10 1234 - "none" "none" "none" 3 83498934897938-490363908603ee2985-4290498092406ef4 - - 8.8.8.8 google.com

This particular logs shows source = tcp.bluecoat and sourcetype=bluecoat:proxysg:access:syslog. If I do a search with just the sourcetype of source then I get "No results found"

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...