All Apps and Add-ons

Assistance with Windows Firewall Logs

matthewp486

Hello, I'm fairly new to Splunk and am trying to extract local Windows Firewall Logs so they can be automatically indexed by Splunk. Universal Forwarder is installed and I validated that Event Logs are being indexed. After some research, I found Technology Add-On for Windows Firewall. The instructions in the add-on were not clear, but I followed it to the best of my ability, extracting the contents of the add-on to C:\program files\splunkuniversalforwarder\etc\apps\TA-winfw-master (then several sub directories under that). I also modified the inputs.conf file under etc\system\local and it currently shows as this:

[default]
host = myserver

[monitor://C:\Windows\system32\LogFiles\Firewall\pfirewall.log]
disabled = false
sourcetype = winfw

The Windows Firewall is configured properly and I validated that logs are showing in the pfirewall.log.

I stopped/restarted the universal forwarder service but yet I am not getting the firewall logs yet, even after generating new traffic. I search for sourcetype=winfw and I get no results. I suspect that I'm missing something rather simple but I can't seem to figure it out.

Thank you in advance...

0 Karma

matthewp486

Disregard this. I reinstalled universal forwarder and did a custom install, then selected the pfirewall.log. It works.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...