All Apps and Add-ons

Alterations to the Google Maps App

MHibbin
Influencer

Hi all,

I was wondering if any one has made any modifications to the way data is represented on in with the Google Maps app.

I have achieved what I need to do using the amMap app, but the requirement is to have specifically with a Google maps representation.

I need to represent the current state of various machines, using a simple traffic light system (i.e. red is bad, green is good). I was wondering if someone had replicated something similar in the Google Maps app, perhaps using the default Google pins (that you see on the Google Maps website).

Another possibility, which I don't think is possible, would be to overlay the amMaps with a google map.

Any thoughts welcome.

Thanks in advance,

MHibbin

0 Karma
1 Solution

ziegfried
Influencer

If you want to use the cluster icons, this should be doable with a simple CSS tweak, combined with a few conditions in the search.

You can hide the numbers in the displayed cluster icons by including the following CSS snippet:

.GoogleMaps .cluster-icon { color: transparent !important; } 

You can simply drop this line into the appserver/static/application.css of the app you want to use it.

To define the icon-color of a location you'd have to create a synthetic _geo_count value. For example:

... | eval _geo_count=case(status=="bad",500,status=="good",1,1==1,50)

The following ranges are used by default to map to the icon color:

A _geo_count value of

• 0 - 10 = blue
  • 11-100 = yellow
  • 101-1000 = red
  • 1001-10000 = pink
  • >10000 = purple

You could also customize this range by providing a parameter in the module:

<param name="overlay.rangeMap">0,1000,100000,10000000,1000000000</param>

View solution in original post

ziegfried
Influencer

If you want to use the cluster icons, this should be doable with a simple CSS tweak, combined with a few conditions in the search.

You can hide the numbers in the displayed cluster icons by including the following CSS snippet:

.GoogleMaps .cluster-icon { color: transparent !important; } 

You can simply drop this line into the appserver/static/application.css of the app you want to use it.

To define the icon-color of a location you'd have to create a synthetic _geo_count value. For example:

... | eval _geo_count=case(status=="bad",500,status=="good",1,1==1,50)

The following ranges are used by default to map to the icon color:

A _geo_count value of

• 0 - 10 = blue
  • 11-100 = yellow
  • 101-1000 = red
  • 1001-10000 = pink
  • >10000 = purple

You could also customize this range by providing a parameter in the module:

<param name="overlay.rangeMap">0,1000,100000,10000000,1000000000</param>

MHibbin
Influencer

Additionally, I have it appears the following overlay option does not seem to work in my xml...

<param name="overlay.gridSize">5</param>

0 Karma

MHibbin
Influencer

@ziegfried,

are there any other internal fields (e.g. _geo & _geo_count) that can be modified from the search syntax. Preferably something to modify the grid-size (that defines the grouping of clusters. I would like to have one cluster marker per latlng coordinates.

Is this possible.

Thanks,

Matt

0 Karma

MHibbin
Influencer

thanks again for the help

0 Karma

MHibbin
Influencer

That worked a treat thanks! Are there any bugs with Maps... when it loads on the default zoom the events aren't displayed, until I drag the map around, when they appear...

It does appear with an error when the Map is rendering, but this then disappears, this has happened on a few systems.

0 Karma

MHibbin
Influencer

Sorry I missed the line that answers that question 😞

0 Karma

ziegfried
Influencer

Both should work. Be sure to restart splunkweb and clear the browser cache.

0 Karma

MHibbin
Influencer

thanks for the response Ziegfried,

do I add this to an application.css file in appserver/static or the GoogleMaps.css in in the module directory.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...