All Apps and Add-ons

Ability to filter by multiple resources

adam_findel
Explorer

Within Insights for Infrastructure, is it possible to apply filters to two different resource types? I would like the ability to - for example - filter by InstanceId (for AWS EC2 Instances) and then by LoadBalancerName (AWS ELB). Ideally, this should return both the EC2 Instance and ELB in the results, from which I could create a group.

Any advice here would be greatly appreciated!

junyuw
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi Adam, currently in SII filters with different dimension names have an implicit "AND" relationship between them, and filters with the same dimension name have an implicit "OR" relationship. Therefore to group both EC2 and ELB, a temporary solution would be to add LoadBalancerName as a tag to your EC2 instances with a value of your choice, eg. for-SII-group (a better solution could be to add common tags to both EC2 and ELBs, but ELB tag collection is still a work in progress) and use LoadBalancerName:for-SII-group, LoadBalancerName:[other ELBs you have] to filter both out and group them together.

adam_findel
Explorer

I did initially think of adding a tag to the EC2 with LoadBalancerName, however this would surmount to increased manual work. For example, each time I deployed using Elastic Beanstalk, I'd manually have to add a tag to each EC2 instance. Additionally, this means that each time an instance is scaled, the manual process needs to be completed again.

0 Karma

ntankersley_spl
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

These are good points, we'll look into adding a better AND OR syntax to the search to make this flexibility possible

0 Karma

adam_findel
Explorer

Do I perhaps need to re-word my question? This surely seems to be something that is possible

0 Karma

adam_findel
Explorer

Do I perhaps need to re-word my question? This is surely something possible

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...