Alerting

how to remove bulk of triggered alert notifications

rashid47010
Communicator

I create on alert yesterday.
That alert causes to generates thousands of notifications. yesterday they were in thousands.

Today when i open the triggered alerts window under the activity tab. I was shocked that there are no triggered alerts.

can anybody explain to me that what happened.

Regards,

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

somesoni2
Revered Legend

The alerts have expiration date. They will get removed past that. Check the setting of saved search generating alert for ttl setting which defines the expiration date.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

rashid47010
Communicator

HI

My actual theme is to get notified[through email ] when there is external vulnerability scan during last one hour. for that purpose I create an alert.

OR please advise me the correct approach to achieve that.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Yes, this should be very straightforward. Just create a search that finds the scan, save it as an alert, add an action to send you an email and you are done. Usually if there is a problem it is because the Search Head cannot send emails because it has not been properly configured to do so.

0 Karma

rashid47010
Communicator

I have another question. I tired to post it through "ask a question" but due to my reputation points problem (currently have only 24) I am not able to post it.
hope you understand the situation and help me out to understand properly.

===================

I am new to splunk. I have one correlation rule. For some I got the understanding but for most I am unable to interrupt. below is the correlation rule:
| tstats allow_old_summaries=true
dc(Malware_Attacks.date) as "day_count",
count from datamodel=Malware where nodename=Malware_Attacks by "Malware_Attacks.dest","Malware_Attacks.signature"
| rename "Malware_Attacks.dest" as "dest","Malware_Attacks.signature" as "signature"
| where 'day_count'>3

i will be grateful if someone help me to decode that

Thanks
=========================

can you please advise me on that because after that I need to amend that rule little bit.[I need to add Malware_Attacks.action=blocked] in the query.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

The above query is taking the data from data model Malware with filter condition nodename=Malware_Attacks, then counting the distinct dates for which there were attacks from a destination ip and signature. Finally showing only the destination IP with their signature who attacked on at least 3 days.

0 Karma

rashid47010
Communicator

thanks
what is this nodename. any reference doc will help me to understand further and how can I add
Malware_Attacks.action!=blocked condition to correlation search.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

The nodename should be the object available in the data model. Check its definition in settings->Data Model -> Your data model name . You should be able to add other conditions in where by using the field name. See samples here
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.4.1/SearchReference/Tstats#Filtering_with_where

0 Karma

rashid47010
Communicator

thanks wood, I done the same (as we discussed in another question-external vulnerability scan). in that alert I configure both send an email and send an alert Option. but never get an email. how how can I troubleshoot this email notification problem.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

If you are on a very up-to-date version of splunk, you now have to click a setting to have a triggered alert show up in the Triggered Alerts area (yes, really).

Do it like this: Save As -> Alert -> Triggered Actions (at the bottom) / Add Actions -> Add to Triggered Alerts.

This is easy to miss because it is just off of the bottom of the first page of settings and it is the only thing that doesn't fit on the first page and typically pop-up dialogs are designed to fit all on one page.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

The alerts have expiration date. They will get removed past that. Check the setting of saved search generating alert for ttl setting which defines the expiration date.

0 Karma

rashid47010
Communicator

how can I see the ttl value OR alert lifetime configuration.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

See this definition of ttl from alert_actions.conf. For triggered alert, following ttl setting should be applied.

ttl     = <integer>[p]
* Optional argument specifying the minimum time to live (in seconds)
  of the search artifacts, if this action is triggered.
* If p follows integer, then integer is the number of scheduled periods.
* If no actions are triggered, the artifacts will have their ttl determined
  by the "dispatch.ttl" attribute in savedsearches.conf.
* Defaults to 10p
* Defaults to 86400 (24 hours)   for: email, rss
* Defaults to   600 (10 minutes) for: script
* Defaults to   120 (2 minutes)  for: summary_index, populate_lookup
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Detecting Remote Code Executions With the Splunk Threat Research Team

REGISTER NOWRemote code execution (RCE) vulnerabilities pose a significant risk to organizations. If ...

Observability | Use Synthetic Monitoring for Website Metadata Verification

If you are on Splunk Observability Cloud, you may already have Synthetic Monitoringin your observability ...

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...