Alerting

Time and Duration Dashboard

sphiwee
Contributor

Hi everyone,

I currently have three dashboards that show the same processes in three states "Ready To Process" , "Processing" and "Complete"

How can I create one other dashboard that shows the duration it takes from "Processing" to  "Complete" 

Labels (2)
Tags (1)

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Can you provide some sample data and the queries you currently have?

sphiwee
Contributor

here are the three queries

sphiwee_0-1603878205926.png

sphiwee_1-1603878283782.png

sphiwee_2-1603878419297.png

here's a sample data

sphiwee_3-1603878669900.png

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Which part of the data uniquely identifies the process instance id? uuid? name? rootRun? Are any of these already extracted (as interesting fields)?

0 Karma

sphiwee
Contributor

name=process and is extracted as "business_field"

0 Karma

sphiwee
Contributor

yes, business_field is the name of the process

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

So looking at your sample data, business_field would be extracted as "(SaveCurrentDayRecordToDs) ", including the trailing space. This doesn't sound very unique. How do you distinguish one instance of this process running from another instance?

sphiwee
Contributor

for completed in search i add "completed" and for processing i use "processing" in search and so on.. if you look at the queries its business_field + "status" that's what makes it unique

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If they were unique, your chart would have a single count of 1. What I am trying to get to is how you can detect the start of the process instance running and the end of that instance. For example, if your log looks like this

09:00 (SaveCurrentDayRecordToDs) status:READY_TO_PROCESS
09:01 (SaveCurrentDayRecordToDs) status:PROCESSING
09:02 (SaveCurrentDayRecordToDs) status:COMPLETED
10:00 (SaveCurrentDayRecordToDs) status:READY_TO_PROCESS
10:02 (SaveCurrentDayRecordToDs) status:PROCESSING
10:03 (SaveCurrentDayRecordToDs) status:READY_TO_PROCESS
10:05 (SaveCurrentDayRecordToDs) status:COMPLETED
10:06 (SaveCurrentDayRecordToDs) status:PROCESSING
10:10 (SaveCurrentDayRecordToDs) status:COMPLETED

What would you expect the duration of (SaveCurrentDayRecordToDs) to be? How many durations would you want reported?

How do you distinguish each run of SaveCurrentDayRecordToDs from the other from the data in your logs or do you just assume that COMPLETED applies to the previous READY_TO_PROCESS?

sphiwee
Contributor

Business_field is a value I extracted from the data and it holds different processes within,  this is what i used to extract it rex field=_raw "name\=\w+\s+(?<business_field>.*)\{"     so different processes will have their own "Ready To Process" or "Completed" and i would be able to see it

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

OK How many SaveCurrentDayRecordToDs READY_TO_PROCESS do you get in your first query?

0 Karma

sphiwee
Contributor

depends on the time range i select

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Can you give an example?

0 Karma

sphiwee
Contributor

sphiwee_0-1603897214836.png

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
| stats earliest(_time) as start latest(_time) as end by business_field
| eval timetaken=end-start

sphiwee
Contributor

sphiwee_0-1603910776355.png

Why is the time like this? and where is the start time taken from and the end time? 

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The time taken is in seconds. If you want it as a duration in minutes and seconds, you could try

| fieldformat timetaken=tostring(timetaken,"duration")

If you want to see the start and end times you could do this

| fieldformat start=strftime(start,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S")
| fieldformat end=strftime(end,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S")

0 Karma

sphiwee
Contributor

To which query do i add it to? "PROCESSING" of "COMPLETE"

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...

New! Splunk Observability Search Enhancements for Splunk APM Services/Traces and ...

Regardless of where you are in Splunk Observability, you can search for relevant APM targets including service ...

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...