Alerting

Ping Alert when up

davidirvine

Hi,

I currently have a Ping Alert which is notifies me when there is 100% packet loss for a host/device.
The search for the Ping is currently
sourcetype="ping_input" packet_loss = 100
| table dest, packet_loss

I now want to create an alert which tell me when the host/device is back up packet loss = 0%
I am think I need to do a compare of the two results, but unsure on how to start this one?
Reaching out for some assistance.

thanks

Tags (3)
0 Karma

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @davidirvine - Could you please elaborate comparison? What kind of comparison you are looking for? As don't think so |set diff will work in your case.

0 Karma

Shan
Builder

@davidirvine,

I believe below query may or mayn't help you. Can you elaborate in detail manner what exactly your requirement.

sourcetype="ping_input" back_up_packet_loss = 0%
| table dest, packet_loss

Thanks ..

0 Karma

davidirvine

Hi I think I'm after something like a Set-Diff actually as I want to compare the two results.
So when the first part of the search show 100% packet loss and the second part does not it will alert me.
Potentially something like this article https://answers.splunk.com/answers/151315/how-to-find-differences-between-two-searches-with-set-diff...

0 Karma

skalliger
Motivator

If the data is not that much, you could easily do just a | transaction _time, packet_loss src_ip startswith=packet_loss=100 endswith=packet_loss=0.
(Or use stats with first() and last() occurence. See the docs page for an example.)

Skalli

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...