Alerting

Is there a way to have Splunk send email alerts based on historical trend data?

jframone

Hi - I have been looking around for a way to do this, I'm not sure if it even exists.

Basically, I'm looking to see if there is a way to have Splunk send email alerts based on historical trend data.

For example, my current search is the following:

index=ui "webui03" "production_in_one_line.log" "Services::UploadController" | timechart avg(duration) as avg| where avg >=2800

** Search above checks the log file and outputs the latency number on the "duration" field, when I only display avg duration greater or equal than 2800ms.

Is there a way to include a historical trend option to monitor the log history and check for abnormal latency spikes? The reason why I'm looking to accomplish this is to avoid defining a threshold when creating the email alert in Splunk.

Any advise? Thanks.

0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

The short answer is yes, there is a way. Now, how to do it, depends on how you want to define your threshold What I mean is, you can (below are just some ideas to get you going... these may not all be working samples)

use Standard Deviation (http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.5.0/SearchReference/CommonStatsFunctions)

index=ui "webui03" "production_in_one_line.log" "Services::UploadController" earliest=@d | timechart span=1h avg(duration) as hourly_avg | stats latest(hourly_avg) as hourly_avg stdev(hourly_avg) as hourly_stdev | where hourly_avg>hourly_stdev*2

OR, you can use trendline (https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.5.0/SearchReference/Trendline)

index=ui "webui03" "production_in_one_line.log" "Services::UploadController"  earliest=@d | timechart span=1h avg(duration) as hourly_avg | trendline sma2(hourly_avg) as trend | stats latest(duration) as latest latest(trend) as trend | where latest>trend*1.5

OR, a simple mean over time

index=ui "webui03" "production_in_one_line.log" "Services::UploadController"  earliest=@d | timechart span=1h max(duration) as max_duration | eventstats avg(duration) as avg_duration | where max_duration>avg_duration*2 
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...