Alerting

How you detect an anomaly from a time frame the previous day or week during the same time of day?

mhanda

I'm trying to detect and alert on anomalies happening now from the previous weeks during the same time frame today. There are a couple of questions and solutions that have been answered that are similar to what I am looking for(like this and this) but I'm struggling to cobble it together.
I currently have a search that that will work if there is a drop in an average using sma:

index=<env> <log source> 
 | timechart count(payload.<event>*) as selected* span=1h 
 | eval packages= <event-value 1> + <event-value 2> + <event-value 3> + <event-value 4> 
 | trendline sma2(packages) as moving_avg_packages 
 | eval drop=if((moving_avg_packages / 3.03) > packages, 0, 1)

I have the packages eval because it provides some insight into if an event triggers, you can see easily see a possible pattern and it provides a little sanity. The boolean makes it easy to trigger the alert. I have a cron run every 30m to allow enough time for the data to collect to prevent false alerts.

It would be great to compare packages from the same time period, possibly as an sma in something like 2h increments from the previous 4 weeks.
This looks interesting as a way to check for anomaly going both ways, but was a little beyond me to make work in the above working search in a way that was productive to my need:

| streamstats window=2 mean(count) as sma2 by packages | eval outlier = if(count > (3 * sma2), count - (3 * sma2), null()) 

Any help that could be provided would be really awesome. I have spent some hours trying to get it together. I would like to do it for the days before in the same fashion as the weeks but figured that if I could get weekly trends to average and alert, I could figure out days easy enough.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...