Alerting

How to create the below alert?

abhi04
Communicator

I have below two events for a host which shows eventcode=6005 meaning PC ON and evencode=6006 meaning PC OFF. I want to create an alert for sending an alert if the host or computer is Off for more than two hours. So basically, it should take the latest event by host and check if eventcode=6006 for off and then subtract that time from now and if greater than 2 hours should send an alert for this host or computer being OFF. How can I do that.

6/25/18
6:09:23.000 AM  
06/25/2018 05:09:23 AM
LogName=System
SourceName=EventLog
EventCode=6005
EventType=4
Type=Information
ComputerName=USOLPWDW7361HNK.NAO.global.gmacfs.com
TaskCategory=None
OpCode=None
RecordNumber=358246
Keywords=Classic
Message=The Event log service was started.

6/25/18
6:08:14.000 AM  
06/25/2018 05:08:14 AM
LogName=System
SourceName=EventLog
EventCode=6006
EventType=4
Type=Information
ComputerName=USOLPWDW7361HNK.NAO.global.gmacfs.com
TaskCategory=None
OpCode=None
RecordNumber=358233
Keywords=Classic
Message=The Event log service was stopped.
0 Karma
1 Solution

abhi04
Communicator

The below query works:

index=wineventlog EventCode=6005 OR EventCode=6006 |stats latest(EventCode) as EventCode, latest(_time) as _time by host|eval Time_Now=strftime(now(),"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S")|
eval PC_OFF_Time=strftime(_time,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S")|eval Time_Since_PC_IS_OFF_IN_Hours=(strptime(Time_Now,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S")-strptime(PC_OFF_Time,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S"))/3600|
eval Message=case(EventCode="6005","PC ON",EventCode="6006","PC OFF")|table host, Message, PC_OFF_Time, Time_Now, Time_Since_PC_IS_OFF_IN_Hours|where Time_Since_PC_IS_OFF_IN_Hours>2 AND (Message="PC OFF")

View solution in original post

0 Karma

abhi04
Communicator

The below query works:

index=wineventlog EventCode=6005 OR EventCode=6006 |stats latest(EventCode) as EventCode, latest(_time) as _time by host|eval Time_Now=strftime(now(),"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S")|
eval PC_OFF_Time=strftime(_time,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S")|eval Time_Since_PC_IS_OFF_IN_Hours=(strptime(Time_Now,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S")-strptime(PC_OFF_Time,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S"))/3600|
eval Message=case(EventCode="6005","PC ON",EventCode="6006","PC OFF")|table host, Message, PC_OFF_Time, Time_Now, Time_Since_PC_IS_OFF_IN_Hours|where Time_Since_PC_IS_OFF_IN_Hours>2 AND (Message="PC OFF")

0 Karma

renjith_nair
Legend

why do you need to convert time to a readable format and again convert it back to epoch format for substraction?

---
What goes around comes around. If it helps, hit it with Karma 🙂
0 Karma

abhi04
Communicator

I have to display the the time PC was off and the now time as well in a table format

0 Karma

renjith_nair
Legend

Hi @abhi04,

Try

your base search |stats latest(EventCode) as EventCode,latest(_time) as _time |eval diff=(now()-_time)/3600
|where EventCode="6006" AND diff>2
---
0 Karma

abhi04
Communicator

I was buiding the below query and I dont find result fro Time_Diff.

index=wineventlog EventCode=6005 OR EventCode=6006 |dedup host|eval Message=case(EventCode="6005","PC ON",EventCode="6006","PC OFF")
|eval Time_Now=strftime(now(),"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S")|eval Time_Diff=Time_Now - _time|table host, Message, _time, Time_Now, Time_Diff

Althought format of _time and Time_Now are same.Any idea why?

0 Karma

renjith_nair
Legend

Hi @abhi04,
No, _time is in epoch format though Splunk shows as a readable in the output. So you could directy use eval Time_Diff=now()-_time where both are in epoch formats. Also dedup host deletes duplicate entries based on host. So if you have both event codes for a host , only one will be displayed

---
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...