Alerting

How to alert on comparison of two fields in a single search?

jaewankim

I am trying to monitor a log and alert when a certain value spikes higher than usual.
trendline seems to be useful here.

Something like

|stats count, avg(concurrent_user) as user_count by date_minute, date_second |trendline sma10(user_count) as user_count_moving_average

can provide both single value in user_count and a moving average.

How can I set up an alert that can compare the two values, so that if the single value is much greater than the moving average?
I can calculate moving average of different periods and make the comparison as well. I get the search right, but the custom condition on alert setup is baffling me.

0 Karma

vasanthmss
Motivator

use the where class to find your matching records, something like this,

|stats count, avg(concurrent_user) as user_count by date_minute, date_second |trendline sma10(user_count) as user_count_moving_average | where user_count_moving_average <=count

in the saved search schedule it when more than one events presents.

Hope this will helps you.

V

adrien_dereumau
Path Finder

I know it's been a long time since you answered, but your answer helped me at least, well done!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...

New! Splunk Observability Search Enhancements for Splunk APM Services/Traces and ...

Regardless of where you are in Splunk Observability, you can search for relevant APM targets including service ...