Alerting

Cron or Time Period

nijwoolley

sourcetype=marketops_cmva_extract_generator ORA-08103 | stats count | where count >10

I have the above search and I want to know the best way to alert for when I have 10 entries in the last hour

I set a cron in the alert set up to look at last hour and relative time in search for last hour

Seems it won't save when you have a cron and the hour setting in relative time

whats the best way to do this please?

Tags (2)
0 Karma

dineshraj9
Builder

Your query will return results only when the count is > 10 because of the where condition -

sourcetype=marketops_cmva_extract_generator ORA-08103 | stats count | where count >10

Run this for -1h@h to @h

and set the cron as 0 * * * *

condition as number of events > 0

0 Karma

nijwoolley

Thanks

What time search period should I use ?

0 Karma

nijwoolley

I only want it to alert when >10 of these errors so why use "condition as number of events > 0"?

0 Karma

dineshraj9
Builder

You already have a condition in your query where count > 10, so your query will return a result only if count is > 10.

0 Karma

nijwoolley

Ok cheers

0 Karma

dineshraj9
Builder

Great! Please accept the answer and upvote any comment that has helped you arrive at a solution.

0 Karma

dineshraj9
Builder

You have to run it every hour on top of the hour -

Run this for -1h@h to @h

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Make sure you're actually using relative time like -1h and not real-time like rt-1h.

For more detailed help do share your actual settings that fail, and what message you get when they fail.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Troubleshooting the OpenTelemetry Collector

In this tech talk, you’ll learn how to troubleshoot the OpenTelemetry collector - from checking the ...

Adoption of Infrastructure Monitoring at Splunk

Splunk's Growth Engineering team showcases one of their first Splunk product adoption-Splunk Infrastructure ...

Modern way of developing distributed application using OTel

Recently, I had the opportunity to work on a complex microservice using Spring boot and Quarkus to develop a ...