Alerting

Can you help me create a service account log-in alert?

mekkac11

Hello all, I have a service account (Account_AB) that should only log into a particular server (Server_A). We are getting AD logs into our Splunk instance. How would I go about setting an alert to notify if Account_AB logs into any other device other than Server_A? Thanks in advance.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

whrg
Motivator

First, you need to find out which fields are relevant for your search. Search for logins by Account_AB in Splunk and have a look at the available fields. Relevant fields might be EventCode, Account_Name, Workstation_Name...

If you are using the Windows Add-on then there should be standardized CIM fields available like tag, user and src.

Now create a search to find login events by Account_AB from systems other than Server_A:

index=* source="WinEventLog:Security" tag=authentication action=success user="Account_AB" src!="Server_A"

Now save this search as an alert and have the trigger condition "Number of Results is greater than 0".

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...