Alerting

Alerts timing

poddraj
Explorer

Hi

I am trying to create an alert when there are more than 10 login attempt failures by same user in last 15 mins. I have scheduled my cron to run for every 15 mins

However, I have a scenario where there were 8 login failures at 8:59 and another 5 at 9:01 for same user
if we run the cron at 9 and 9:15, neither of them would alert.

Is it possible to manipulate some of splunk's alert options to get the behavior I want?
Labels (2)
0 Karma

The_Simko
Path Finder

It's a matter of defining your boundaries, and what your goals are.
One way to do what you want is to run the alert every 5 minutes for the previous 15 minutes.  That way your condition will be less likely to be missed.

Now, you will get some duplicate alerts. You can either just accept it as the cost of being vigilant, or you could do something fancy like write the box name or account name (or both) to a lookup, then query that to make sure it hasn't fired already before sending the alert.  

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...