Alerting

Alert when a Windows Service stops

Razzi

I am fairly new to the Splunk platform/ community; I am in learning mode 😞 and I hope to get some help here. How do I set up/configure an alert on a set of Windows Servers to notify me when a particular set of services stops? For example, I have three services that start with the naming of TDB, how can I configure Splunk to alert if any of those services stop on a particular server name. Thanks much.

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Razzi,

you should define the fields that you can use to identify the fields to use:

• host (it's the host present in each log),
  • process.

Then you should create a lookup (called e.g. perimeter.csv) containing the hosts to monitor (supponing that the three services to monitor must be active in all the servers).

Then you should run a search like the following:

index=<your_index> process IN (TBD1, TBD2, TBD3)
| stats 
    dc(process) AS process_count 
    values(process) AS process 
    count 
    BY host
| append [ 
    | inputlookup perimeter.csv 
    | eval count=0
    | fields host count
    ]
| stats 
    dc(process) AS process_count 
    values(process) AS process 
    sum(count) AS total
    BY host
| where total=0 OR process_count<3
| eval status=if(total=0, "missed host", "missed process")
| table host status process
| rename process AS "present processes"

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer at Splunk .conf24 ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Combine Multiline Logs into a Single Event with SOCK: a Step-by-Step Guide for ...

Combine multiline logs into a single event with SOCK - a step-by-step guide for newbies Olga Malita The ...