Splunk Search

timechart

mm12
Explorer

Hi,

I am just taking the total count of incident using stats command form the json and the query is working fine. But when I using timechart command it is not giving me the visualization. Please anyone help me on this.

index=incident_index  source="/mi_data/dc_in_events.json" | spath path=Incident__Number output=INC | stats values(*) as * by INC | stats count(Incident__Number)

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

How are you trying to add timechart to this search?

You're already doing stats and getting a single number so there is nothing to make timechart from.

BTW, you calculate stats values(*) but then only use one of those fields. Instead of doing all this, just doing

| stats dc(Incident_Number)

Instead of both stats would be enough.

About the timechart - it's not clear what you want to do. Can you explain it?

0 Karma

mm12
Explorer

@PickleRick - I am using below query for time chart instead of stats command but it is not working.

index=incident_index  source="/mi_data/dc_in_events.json" | spath path=Incident__Number output=INC | stats values(*) as * by INC | timechart count 

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Well, if you do your stats, you lose the _time field because you're aggregating data over values of INC. You might have a multivalued field containing all values of _time in one row but that's just one row, so there's no basis for timechart.

What do you want to chart? Tell us with your own words, not with SPL.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...