Splunk Search

search in foreach subquery

dmitrymi
Observer

I have items visit log index with fields: category, item each event is a visit

In addition, I have an index with all items in the system in form category, items_count

I want to create a timechart of categories: <category> -> <visited items>/<all items> other time

What I did:

index="visited" | eval cat_item = category."/".item  | timechart dc(cat_item) by category  | foreach * [ search index="cat" category="<<FIELD? >>"  | eval <<FIELD>>= '<<FIELD>>'/items_count ]

But this does not work

timechart here creates a table with categories as columns and, each row contains the count of visited items 

Now the problem is how I get column name, and value in the subquery. In the examples, the <<FIELD>> is used for the column name and column value alike. 

Please help

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This

index="visited" | eval cat_item = category."/".item  | timechart dc(cat_item) 

does not give you a column for each cat_item as you seem to be suggesting - it gives you a count of distinct cat_items for each time period.

0 Karma

dmitrymi
Observer

Sorry my mistake this is actually:

index="visited" | eval cat_item = category."/".item  | timechart dc(cat_item) by category

but still not working. 

Without foreach the query returns number of items visited by category over time

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Are you sure your problem is with fieldnames? I'd say it's with the subsearch itself.

As per the docs, foreach runs a streaming subsearch for each field. But your subsearch starts with the search command which is a generating one.

0 Karma

dmitrymi
Observer

I'm not sure, what is the right way to do it? How to select a value for each column using the column name,  and update cell value using this 

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you really need a dynamicaly constructed search, try the map command. But I'd rather do a groupped stat (i.e. count by)

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...