Splunk Search

identify which user is doing longest searches

amirarsalan
Explorer

Hi Everyone!

I need some help to identify which user are running longest/bad searches. Sometimes splunk goes very slow and it indicate that someone running searches/jobs that is not god and I want to identify who it is and see the search string for that user.

Someone that can help me with a query

Tags (1)
0 Karma

asneed_eu
Path Finder

The _audit index should have this information.

This would show a list of searches sorted by execution time by user:

index=_audit action="search" search=* NOT user="splunk-system-user" exec_time=* | table search total_run_time user | sort - total_run_time

You could also look at which users have the longest running searches on average:

index=_audit action="search" search=* NOT user="splunk-system-user" exec_time=* | stats avg(total_run_time) by user

amirarsalan
Explorer

Hi @asneed_eu

Thanks for your replay. It seems to works but i can only see my username. Can't see other users.

0 Karma

amirarsalan
Explorer

Beside that I can't see the total_run_time and on the search field it's only "*"

0 Karma

adonio
Ultra Champion

its out of the box with the MC (DMC)
search -> activity -> Search Usage Statistics: Deployment

0 Karma

amirarsalan
Explorer

Hi @adonio

Is this in splunk-master? If it is then i can only see users that have access to splunk-master, and that is only 3 persons.

0 Karma

adonio
Ultra Champion
0 Karma

amirarsalan
Explorer

I can only see "Add Data" there is no Splunk Monitoring Console. I can only found it in master.
And i'm a admin user

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...