conditional converion

KarunK
Contributor

Hi All,

I have a field called "diskin" which can have two values in two measurements

1) K for kilobytes

2) M for megabytes

eg: diskin=9.9M, diskin=948K etc

How do i auto covert them to a single measurement say in bytes during search time ?

Thanks

Regards

KK

Tags (1)
1 Solution

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can use the if() function in eval, along with the substr() function to check the last character of the diskin field:

... | eval bytes=if(substr(diskin,-1)=="M",diskin/(1024*1024),diskin/1024)

If you have more than two cases, it's cleaner to use the case() function. Even with only 2 cases, it's a bit of a tossup. Here's the same functionality but with the case() function.

...| eval bytes=case(substr(diskin,-1)=="M",diskin/(1024*1024), substr(diskin,-1)=="K", ,diskin/1024)

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/5.0.2/SearchReference/CommonEvalFunctions

UPDATE:

Sorry I forgot that those suffixes will prevent the field from being treated as a numeric field. Splunk will sometimes forgive a certain amount of strangeness and treat values as numeric anyway, but indeed it does not in this case and the division above fails.

But you can easily make yourself a numeric field by clipping off the suffix, and the overall search language then looks like:

with the eval command's if() function:

... | eval suffix=substr(diskin,-1) | eval value=substr(diskin,0,length(diskin)-1) | eval bytes=if(suffix=="M",value/(1024*1024),value/1024)

with the case() function instead:

... | eval suffix=substr(diskin,-1) | eval value=substr(diskin,0,length(diskin)-1) | eval bytes=case(suffix=="M",value/(1024*1024),suffix=="K",value/1024)

View solution in original post

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can use the if() function in eval, along with the substr() function to check the last character of the diskin field:

... | eval bytes=if(substr(diskin,-1)=="M",diskin/(1024*1024),diskin/1024)

If you have more than two cases, it's cleaner to use the case() function. Even with only 2 cases, it's a bit of a tossup. Here's the same functionality but with the case() function.

...| eval bytes=case(substr(diskin,-1)=="M",diskin/(1024*1024), substr(diskin,-1)=="K", ,diskin/1024)

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/5.0.2/SearchReference/CommonEvalFunctions

UPDATE:

Sorry I forgot that those suffixes will prevent the field from being treated as a numeric field. Splunk will sometimes forgive a certain amount of strangeness and treat values as numeric anyway, but indeed it does not in this case and the division above fails.

But you can easily make yourself a numeric field by clipping off the suffix, and the overall search language then looks like:

with the eval command's if() function:

... | eval suffix=substr(diskin,-1) | eval value=substr(diskin,0,length(diskin)-1) | eval bytes=if(suffix=="M",value/(1024*1024),value/1024)

with the case() function instead:

... | eval suffix=substr(diskin,-1) | eval value=substr(diskin,0,length(diskin)-1) | eval bytes=case(suffix=="M",value/(1024*1024),suffix=="K",value/1024)

KarunK
Contributor

Thanks it worked....

Cheers

KK

0 Karma

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Oh right. No problem. it's easy. I'll update my answer.

0 Karma

KarunK
Contributor

Ies i have tried this but "diskin/1024" wont work since, diskin is alphanumeric (eg:diskin=9.9M/1024)

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Troubleshooting the OpenTelemetry Collector

In this tech talk, you’ll learn how to troubleshoot the OpenTelemetry collector - from checking the ...

Adoption of Infrastructure Monitoring at Splunk

Splunk's Growth Engineering team showcases one of their first Splunk product adoption-Splunk Infrastructure ...

Modern way of developing distributed application using OTel

Recently, I had the opportunity to work on a complex microservice using Spring boot and Quarkus to develop a ...