Splunk Search

Would my search detect a malicious user, attempting to connect to multiple destinations, but only one failed login to each destination?

jacqu3sy
Path Finder

Problem with this search?

Would the following search detect a malicious user, trying to connect to multiple destinations using a specific username, but only one failed login to each destination? My understanding is that the count against one specific destination would have to be greater than 5 for this to fire an alert.

| tstats `summariesonly` count from datamodel=Authentication where nodename=Authentication.Failed_Authentication by "Authentication.user","Authentication.dest"  
| rename "Authentication.user" as "user ","Authentication.dest" as "dest" 
| where 'count'>5

Would it however detect an attack against say, 100 destinations, where there was just 1 failed login against each host? Someone trying to brute force a username 'Administratror' for example and fly under the >5 trigger?

Thanks.

0 Karma

DalJeanis
Legend

You are correct that it would not detect such an attack. You could set up an additional search (with perhaps a different threshold for triggering) by moving the "by destination" portion of the search, something like this.

| tstats `summariesonly` count list ("Authentication.dest") as "dest" from datamodel=Authentication where nodename=Authentication.Failed_Authentication by "Authentication.user"
 | rename "Authentication.user" as "user "
 | where 'count'>10
0 Karma

jacqu3sy
Path Finder

Thanks for confirming. Much appreciated.

I did try your alternative search but it returned;
Error in 'stats' command: The argument '(Authentication.dest)' is invalid.

I'll play around with it. Thanks again.

0 Karma

DalJeanis
Legend

Sure. I wondered about that.

Look up the eventSearch value in the search.log for your original tstats search, and see what splunk substituted for "Authentication.dest" . Use that same underlying data model item in the "list() as dest" clause.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...