Splunk Search

Wildcards in search

mdavis43
Path Finder

I need some help on the syntax of wildcards in the search. I have multiple servers and I don't want to keep using OR. For example I have "server01" through "server21" and I sometimes want to just pull out results for server3 through server6.

In Linux I can specify server0[3-6]. What is the Splunk equivalent?

1 Solution

lguinn2
Legend

There is no equivalent in Splunk, sorry.

However, you can tag your servers. For example, if you tag a set of servers (server03 to server06) as "Singapore" then you could search

tag=Singapore

It's a great way to do a variety of shortcuts for searches. Also, tags can be shared so that everyone on your team can use them.

Here's a video on tags: http://www.splunk.com/view/SP-CAAAGYJ

The documentation is here

View solution in original post

bwooden
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Lisa's answer is a good approach.

Another way to solve this in the search language is to use the regex command.

Note, the base search pulls all events BEFORE regex has a chance to filter results, so it is important to make the base search as specific as possible. An example using above requirements:

host=server0* | regex host="server0[3-6]"

lguinn2
Legend

Good point. I use regex a lot.

lguinn2
Legend

There is no equivalent in Splunk, sorry.

However, you can tag your servers. For example, if you tag a set of servers (server03 to server06) as "Singapore" then you could search

tag=Singapore

It's a great way to do a variety of shortcuts for searches. Also, tags can be shared so that everyone on your team can use them.

Here's a video on tags: http://www.splunk.com/view/SP-CAAAGYJ

The documentation is here

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...