Splunk Search

Unathorized Linux folder deletion

ajeeshneelamkav

Hi All,

I am new to Splunk and need to complete the below use case

Files in a linux directory are regularly archived to different directory. File deletion in this directory needs to be monitored.

Example directory: user/data/files on a Linux machine
Splunk ver:6.1

Tags (2)
0 Karma

kml_uvce
Builder

use this in inputs.conf
[fschange:<path>]

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.2.0/admin/inputsconf

0 Karma

ajeeshneelamkav

if a folder deletes from Linux or files deleted from a Linux folder, will be there any specific keyword?

0 Karma

kml_uvce
Builder

see in your events or send any event...

0 Karma

ajeeshneelamkav

I have done it, how can retrieve this particular change using search query to create an alert ?

0 Karma

kml_uvce
Builder

how you done it , by using fschange /?
see keywords related to you deletion event and write search :

index=<indexname> "keywords" and then go to save as-> alert

0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

fschange is deprecated. Recommended option is to use each OS's native mechanisms for auditing filesystem activity, like auditd in Linux.

0 Karma

kml_uvce
Builder

Hi Ayn

I am not seeing fschange is deprecated in latest version 6.2 http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.2.0/admin/inputsconf

please correct me If I am wrong...

0 Karma

Ayn
Legend
0 Karma

kml_uvce
Builder

hmmm, usually splunk gives any deprecated features in conf files also, but they have not given in inputs.conf for fschange, they need to change the doc for inputs.conf...

0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

No, "deprecated" does not mean "removed". The functionality is still there, but is due for removal, and the recommendation is to explore other options instead.

0 Karma

kml_uvce
Builder

yeah i am saying that splunk always mentioned that features is deprecated in conf files doc also but here splunk has not mentioned

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...