Splunk Search

Unable to get count when variable names has a "-"

vjzone
Path Finder

One of the queries i'm using has a variable with a "-" and splunk is unable to get me the stats count using the variable.

Example : your search | stats count by Order-Type

Is there a limitation on the variable names to be used in splunk?

Note: I did get the final result by using regex.
Example: your search | rex field=raw "Order-Type=(?[\"A-Z ]+)" | stats count by type

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

vjzone
Path Finder

I got the answer after talking to a friend. Splunk parsed the field Order-Type as Order_Type(listed in interesting fields of verbose mode).

All i needed to do was "your search | stats count by Order_Type"

Thanks guys!

View solution in original post

0 Karma

vjzone
Path Finder

I got the answer after talking to a friend. Splunk parsed the field Order-Type as Order_Type(listed in interesting fields of verbose mode).

All i needed to do was "your search | stats count by Order_Type"

Thanks guys!

0 Karma

nadlurinadluri
Communicator

Right!! thats actually true, splunk converts '-' to '_' at the time of ingestion.

0 Karma

vjzone
Path Finder

This is weird. I can no longer do a stats count by with variables separated by -. I think i was able to do this earlier. Is there something s Splunk admin could do to disable this?

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Like this

... rename *-* AS ** ... | stats count by OrderType
0 Karma

nadlurinadluri
Communicator

I did try to replicate the same scenario and for me its working fine without any issues. If you are not getting the desired results using @richgalloway`s response, try creating a new filed for Order-Type using the below command.
|eval OrderType='Order-Type'
|stats count by OrderType

0 Karma

vjzone
Path Finder

Updated the example: your search | rex field=raw "Order-Type=(?[\"A-Z ]+)" | stats count by type

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The stats command is probably trying to subtract field 'Type' from field 'Order' and is failing because neither field exists. Try one of the following:

1) ... | stats count by 'Order-Type'

2) ... | rename "Order-Type" as OrderType | stats count by OrderType | rename OrderType as "Order-Type"

3) Use a different field name without a hyphen in it.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

vjzone
Path Finder

I have already tried #1 and #2, but that doesn't seem to work. #3 is not an option without a code change and i do not want to take that route.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Troubleshooting the OpenTelemetry Collector

In this tech talk, you’ll learn how to troubleshoot the OpenTelemetry collector - from checking the ...

Adoption of Infrastructure Monitoring at Splunk

Splunk's Growth Engineering team showcases one of their first Splunk product adoption-Splunk Infrastructure ...

Modern way of developing distributed application using OTel

Recently, I had the opportunity to work on a complex microservice using Spring boot and Quarkus to develop a ...