Splunk Search

Too long query?

Villo
Observer

Hi, I have an issue with a query of mine.  The length of it is exactly 378 lines, and however I managed to save it on my dashopard without any problems. Now I can not open  it from there. Always shows to me a "connection reset" blank page when I try to open it. I guess it is because my query is too long (it has hundreds of "like" conditions in it.  In case of other queries I  don't experience such issue.  

I have saved the query into a word document, and whenever I run it, it runs perfectly, no problems with that. Could you tell me please what can I do in such case, when I have this long query? And what is the maximum length of a query? 

Thank you in advance 🙂 

Labels (2)
0 Karma

Villo
Observer

Hello, and thank you for your answer.  This query has been created to identify the number of errors identified by several conditions (at some point even 3 or 4 conditions). I made all of them like this: 

| eval errorTypes=case(like(_raw,("%logFaultyResponse:291%could not execute statement%OBN:01234: invalid data in field=blablabla%"), "logFaultyResponse:291 - could not execute statement, OBN:01234: invalid data in field=blablabla",.
like(_raw("%logFaultyResponse:291%could not execute statement%OBN:01235: invalid userID%"), "logFaultyResponse:291 - could not load user data, OBN:01235: invalid userID"....etc in the next 378 rows)

Unfortunatelly we have different kinds of logs. i can't really make a query or a pattern for rex field to extract all of them, their positioning is pretty unique. some of them have a field  like errorMessage, or errorDescription, but whenever I want to use these I get only the first word of a whole sentence, and no reasoning (yes some of them has even a reason field) etc.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Is OBN:01234 always going to have "logFaultyResponse:291 - could not execute statement, " before it? If so, then you only need to match on OBN:01234, even if you want to set errorTypes to the full error string "logFaultyResponse:291 - could not execute statement, OBN:01234: invalid data in field=blablabla", etc. This would save you a lot of characters.

0 Karma

Villo
Observer

Hello. Unfortunatelly not. I have lots of similar error messages but to different error codes as well. I was thinking about to delete those, which are not appearing anymore in the logs, but I a afraid I would not be able to get a significant change.  😞

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Can you portion some of it into macros? What about using base searches? If the likes are in if statements, can some of them be combined into case statements? Can you use rex to extract the values you are looking for?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...