Splunk Search

Timechart with eventtype

noman377
Explorer

Hello, I am trying to timechart two event types ONLY: heartbeat and start. 
However, every event in our Splunk is also mapped as nix-all-logs and few other events by the system admin. 
Attached are screenshots.  How can I timechart these 2 event types only.

3.png4.png

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Ahhh. Of course. Timechart renders the data as table with eventtypes as columns.

So in order to return only heartbeat eventtype you'd need to not | search but simply

| table _time heartbeat

View solution in original post

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.2.3/Knowledge/Abouteventtypes

The important part here is that a single event can belong to multiple eventtypes.

So if you want to count only those eventtypes, you have to first search for them, and then filter the results to leave only those two entries.

0 Karma

noman377
Explorer

@PickleRick - read through the documentation and tried search first as suggested and then timechart count by eventtype, it did not work. Not sure what i'm doing wrong. any help is appreciated. the eventtype that is present in every events is still present in the chart. 

eventtype=heartbeat namespace::my-namespace
| search eventtype=heartbeat
| timechart count by eventtype span=1m
```only want to see eventtype heartbeat```

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Close, but not quite 🙂

Try to understand what you're doing.

Firstly, you search for some events with eventtype=heartbeat. Now everything is ok.

Of those events some will have more than one eventtype.

Then you do

Which effectively doesn't do anything at this point since all events you find in the previous step had eventtype=heartbeat. So you pass this stepp with your full set of resulting events of which some have more than one eventtype.

Then if you do the timechart by eventtypes of course all your eventtypes will get included in the results

What did you do wrong? You did a search in the wrong place.

You should have done stats first, so you get results for all eventtypes and _then_ search (in the resulting stats) for wanted eventtypes.

eventtype=heartbeat namespace::my-namespace
| timechart count by eventtype span=1

0 Karma

noman377
Explorer

@PickleRick - unfortunately, not able to make it work.  The eventtype that is present for every log is still showing up in events tab and timechart tab comes out empty. splunk_1.pngsplunk_2.png

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Ahhh. Of course. Timechart renders the data as table with eventtypes as columns.

So in order to return only heartbeat eventtype you'd need to not | search but simply

| table _time heartbeat
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...