Splunk Search

Splunk Support and End-of-Life

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

Since I'm not fluent in legalese, I'd appreciate if somebody could help with clarification on section 2.5.9 in the general Support and Maintenance document.

It states that;

... Splunk provides full Support, including, when available, bug fixes, only on the
current major release and (a) the immediately prior major release or (b) twenty-four months
from the then current major release (“Supported Prior Versions”).

I'm interpreting this as 4.x will be supported for 2 years after the release of 5.0. Is this correct?

Or should I interpret this as 4.x still being supported for some time if 5.0 and 6.0 are released within a 2 year span.

Thanks,

/kristian

Tags (2)
1 Solution

cervelli
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi Kristian,

The intended reading of that statement is that 4.x will be supported until 6.0 comes out, but for no less than 24 months. That means that 4.3, which went GA Jan 2012, will be supported at least until Jan 2014.

View solution in original post

nitinsheenu
Explorer

There should be one simple page on Splunk website to list all Currently Supported & EOL versions!!

tpflicke
Path Finder

Well, I just noticed on http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/4.3.7/ReleaseNotes/MeetSplunk the following:

NOTE - Splunk version 4.x reached its End of Life on October 1, 2013. Please see the migration information.

That's the same day Splunk Enterprise 6.0 was release, it's about 4 years after Splunk 4 and less than 2 years after Splunk 4.3:

• Splunk 4 was release Q3 2009
  • Splunk 4.3 was released on January 10, 2012.
  • Splunk 5.0 was released on October 30, 2012
  • Splunk Enterprise 6.0 was released on Oct. 1, 2013.

This suggests that major release refers to Splunk 4.0, 5.0, 6.0 with 4.3 being a minor release and 4.3.7 a patch/maintainance release.

cervelli
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi Kristian,

The intended reading of that statement is that 4.x will be supported until 6.0 comes out, but for no less than 24 months. That means that 4.3, which went GA Jan 2012, will be supported at least until Jan 2014.

dwaddle
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Given the amount of time between releases, I wonder if 4.1, 4.2, and 4.3 all count as "major" ?

reedmohn
Communicator

I'd say: yes and yes.

When 5.x is the current release, 4.x is also supported. But if 6.x is released within 24-months of 5.x, 4.x will still be supported until 5.x is 24 months old.

But IANAL...

0 Karma

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

Thanks for your answer, but I'd still like somebody from Splunk to come forward clarify.

0 Karma

AaronMoorcroft
Communicator

did you ever get an answer to this ? im being asked by my manager and cant find a definitive answer.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...