Splunk Search

Select data from the most recent file logged this month over multiple hosts

splunk-support0
Explorer

I have a clustered application running in active/passive configuration. We run a report at the beginning of every month that gathers a whole bunch of stats from the file system and other places. The report is scripted and runs out of cron. The first thing the script does is check if the current node is the active node and, if so, go and gather and write the stats to a directory.

So essentially, for this month, the reports could end up with the path:

node01.example.org:/var/reports/20170301.csv
or
node02.example.org:/var/reports/20170301.csv

depending on which node was the active node.

I basically want to craft a splunk search that will get the logs from either of those files, but only get the most recent file for the current month e.g. March 2017. I would want to exclude previous months. It's also worth noting that the report might have a 2nd or 3rd run if something screwed up the initial reporting run. So a rerun report might be named something like:

node02.example.org:/var/reports/20170302.csv
node02.example.org:/var/reports/20170303.csv

Any ideas what type of search query I could write to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

DalJeanis
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This subsearch uses your naming convention to find the latest file name on whatever node.

[metasearch index=foo source=node*.example.org:/var/reports/*.csv | table source 
| rex field=source "(?<nodename>[^\/]*)(?<reptname>.*)" | sort 1 -reptname | table source | format]

It should return a snippet that equals something of the form....

(source="node1.example.org:/var/reports/20170311.csv")

... that you can use in your base search like this ...

index=foo field=whatever  [metasearch index=foo source=node*.example.org:/var/reports/*.csv | table source 
| rex field=source "(?<nodename>[^\/]*)(?<reptname>.*)" | sort 1 -reptname | table source | format]
| then whatever you want to do with the data from that source...
0 Karma

adonio
Ultra Champion

Try it out:
earliest=@mon latest=now index = source = node*.example.org:/var/reports/*.csv | stats latest(source)
Use verbose mode
you can also probably remove the earliest and latest statement as the stats(latest) will give you results from the last field defined
hope it helps

0 Karma

vikash_periwal

this is not working when i am using it with multi index....

(index=abc sourcetype=SUMMARY_CDR_VW Server=CLGRAB1201T ) OR
[ metasearch index=csvlookups source="F:\SplunkMonitor\csvlookups\Core_Network*.csv" earliest=@mon latest=now()
| stats latest(source) as source],

any other way we can achieve this

0 Karma

adonio
Ultra Champion

Hello there,
you can use earliest and latest like that for example: earliest=@mon latest=now index = <yourIndex> source = node*.example.org:/var/reports/*.csv
or use the month to date on the timepicker

0 Karma

splunk-support0
Explorer

Getting close but this still returns multiple reports that have been generated this month.

e.g

20170301.csv
20170306.csv

Is there a way to extend the query to only get the latest report this month?

0 Karma

pradeepkumarg
Influencer

what is the search you are trying? using a dedup might help

0 Karma

adonio
Ultra Champion

just use | stats(latest) source
use it in verbose mode so you can see events

0 Karma

vikash_periwal

this is not working when i am using it with multi index....

(index=abc sourcetype=SUMMARY_CDR_VW Server=CLGRAB1201T ) OR
[ metasearch index=csvlookups source="F:\SplunkMonitor\csvlookups\Core_Network\*.csv" earliest=@mon latest=now()
| stats latest(source) as source],

any other way we can achieve this

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...