montydo
Explorer

From the splunk windows_TA guide

"The following keys are equivalent to the fields which appear in the text of
the acquired events: Category CategoryString ComputerName EventCode
EventType Keywords LogName **Message** OpCode RecordNumber Sid SidType
SourceName TaskCategory Type User"

I'm trying to filter on the contents of the "Message" field:

An operation was attempted on a privileged object. Subject: Security ID:    ROOT\username Account Name: username Account Domain:    DOMAINNAME Logon ID:    0x200ABCD1 Object: Object Server:   Security Object Type:   - Object Name:  - Object Handle: 0x1234 Process Information: Process ID:    0x12A3 Process Name:    **C:\Program Files\Veeam\Backup and Replication\Console\veeam.backup.shell.exe** Requested Operation: Desired Access:   1234567 Privileges: SeTakeOwnershipPrivilege

I'm looking to match on the "C:\Program Files\Veeam\Backup and Replication\Console\veeam.backup.shell.exe" portion and discard the events through a blacklist stanza in the inputs.conf on the Universal Forwarder.

Something like:

blacklist3 = | key=regex [key=REGEXHERE?]

Is this possible? and can anyone help with the regex?

Tags (2)
0 Karma

damann
Communicator

Try this for your blacklisting.
Make sure you escape your backslashes and your dots as they would be interpreted as wildcards.

blacklist3 = Message="Process Name:\s+\*\*C:\\Program Files\\Veeam\\Backup and Replication\\Console\\veeam\.backup\.shell\.exe"
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @montydo,
let me understand: do you want to exclude from indexing all the events where there's the string "C:\Program Files\Veeam\Backup and Replication\Console\veeam.backup.shell.exe" ?
if this is your need you should use something like this:

[WinEventLog://Security]
disabled = 0
start_from = newest
blacklist1 = C:\\Program Files\\Veeam\\Backup and Replication\\Console\\veeam.backup\.shell\.exe
index = wineventlog

otherwise, you can filter these events on Indexers before indexing (see at https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.0.1/Forwarding/Routeandfilterdatad#Filter_event_data_... ) using the same regex.

Ciao.
Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...