Splunk Search

Omit "NULL" and "OTHER" from area chart

srussellnpr
Explorer

How do I omit "NULL" and "OTHER" from the results of an area chart?

1 Solution

Stephen_Sorkin
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Assuming that you defined the chart using the search language directly, say with timechart, then you should add usenull=f useother=f to the end of the search like eventtype="download" | timechart count by useragent usenull=f useother=f.

If you built the report using the report builder or a link from a field, from the "2: Format report" window, click back to "1: Define report content" then click on "Define data using search language" if it's not already selected, and add usenull=f useother=f to the end of the search string.

View solution in original post

Stephen_Sorkin
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Assuming that you defined the chart using the search language directly, say with timechart, then you should add usenull=f useother=f to the end of the search like eventtype="download" | timechart count by useragent usenull=f useother=f.

If you built the report using the report builder or a link from a field, from the "2: Format report" window, click back to "1: Define report content" then click on "Define data using search language" if it's not already selected, and add usenull=f useother=f to the end of the search string.

driptarup
Engager

Hello Stephen,

I am using the flags "usenull=f useother=f" in my timechart search, but no logs are coming still, are there any limits being responsible for it?

0 Karma

slgizmo
Engager

Stephen,

I realize this is about seven years late but I wanted to thank you for this tidbit of information. Our reports just became more readable with not having to explain what "OTHER" is.

Gizmo

0 Karma

imanpoeiri
Communicator

You've just received cookies!

0 Karma

infinitiguy
Path Finder

exactly what I was looking for!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Database Performance Sidebar Panel Now on APM Database Query Performance & Service ...

We’ve streamlined the troubleshooting experience for database-related service issues by adding a database ...

IM Landing Page Filter - Now Available

We’ve added the capability for you to filter across the summary details on the main Infrastructure Monitoring ...

Dynamic Links from Alerts to IM Navigators - New in Observability Cloud

Splunk continues to improve the troubleshooting experience in Observability Cloud with this latest enhancement ...