Splunk Search

Lateral Movement Windows Logs

splunkcol
Builder

Hello there,

I have spent a good time researching lateral movement in Splunk, unfortunately I have not found much.

I have only seen answers suggesting to review the use cases of the Splunk Security Essentials APP but this use case on said app is based on Sysmon logs and I am only collecting the Security and Application logs using the Agent.

I also see very old responses where fields mention fields as "user" when currently called "Account_Name"

I would appreciate if someone can give me any suggestions to try to identify possible Lateral movements.

i found this

index=main sourcetype=WinEventLog:Security (EventCode=4624 OR EventCode=4672) Logon_Type=3 NOT Account_Name="*$" NOT Account_Name="ANONYMOUS LOGON" 

Labels (4)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @splunkcol,

In Splunk Security Essentials App, there's a sample of how to find lateral movements.

You should translate the example on your real data, in other words:

• You have to find the relative field names in bothe the logs (e.g. in syslog there's "user" and in Wineventlog there's "Account_name".
  • than you have to follow the lateral movement logic in syslogs and Winevenlog to create you own search.

Security Essentials is a fantastic app to use as a starting point to create your own searches, it isn't a ready-to-use app, if you need this, you have to buy (it's a Premium App) Splunk Enterprise Security.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @splunkcol,

In Splunk Security Essentials App, there's a sample of how to find lateral movements.

You should translate the example on your real data, in other words:

• You have to find the relative field names in bothe the logs (e.g. in syslog there's "user" and in Wineventlog there's "Account_name".
  • than you have to follow the lateral movement logic in syslogs and Winevenlog to create you own search.

Security Essentials is a fantastic app to use as a starting point to create your own searches, it isn't a ready-to-use app, if you need this, you have to buy (it's a Premium App) Splunk Enterprise Security.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @splunkcol,

good for you, see next time!

Ciao and happy splunking.

Giuseppe

P.S.: Karma Points are appreciated 😉

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...