Splunk Search

Is there any way to set a higher default "bins=xxx" for timechart setting?

Richfez
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I know I can override the default bins=100 in any particular search. Is there any way to set something slightly higher as the default?

Use case: The majority of our timechart based searches bucket reasonably well, but both Weekly and Business Weekly reports should not trigger a bump to the next bin size (daily) and should remain hourly. Unfortunately, I don't wish to have to add "bins=170" or bins="200" to all searches and would like a way to set it as the default, which sounds like a very reasonable knob that ought to be available. I can't find it though.

I can't just set span=1h because the searches may vary between "show me today" to "show me the previous year." I need to keep the dynamic span aspect, just have a few more buckets available before it kicks me into larger buckets.

1 Solution

MarioM
Motivator

have you looked at this parameter in limits.conf:

[discretize]
* This stanza set attributes for bin/bucket/discretize.

default_time_bins = <integer>
* When discretizing time for timechart or explicitly via bin, the default bins to use if no span or bins is specified.
* Defaults to 100

View solution in original post

MarioM
Motivator

have you looked at this parameter in limits.conf:

[discretize]
* This stanza set attributes for bin/bucket/discretize.

default_time_bins = <integer>
* When discretizing time for timechart or explicitly via bin, the default bins to use if no span or bins is specified.
* Defaults to 100

Richfez
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Works perfectly. After double-checking and all that, I added

[discretize]
default_time_bins = 200

to /opt/splunk/etc/system/local/limits.conf, restarted splunk and now weekly searches default to hourly bins. Perfect.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...