Splunk Search

Index doesn't show event anymore

MattiaP
Loves-to-Learn Lots

Hi, I have an index that doesn't show events anymore. 

Could you help me please?

On November I had a problem with Mongo DB and I tried this solutions:

https://community.splunk.com/t5/Knowledge-Management/Why-are-we-getting-these-errors-KV-Store-Proces...  --> doing this I noticed that permissions of files inside this folder have changed. May this be the cause of the problem? This solutiion didn't work

- I solved the problem doing this

MattiaP_0-1708082320953.png

Could you help me please?

Thank you

Labels (1)
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This is such a vague question and there is such little information...

1. Do you see events in other indexes but not in this one or you cannot find any events anywhere?

2. Were there any changes done lately to the environment?

3. Are you ingesting any data at all? Or was it just a "static" environment. In such case the data might have simply rolled over to frozen (got deleted) due to exceeding retention period.

As @gcusello mentioned, KV-store problems don't have much with having the events or not. They can cause other issues but they are not responsible for data suddenly disappearing from indexes.

0 Karma

MattiaP
Loves-to-Learn Lots

Hi @PickleRick,

1 - I can see other events in other indexes

2 - One month ago I restarted KV store, I didn't make other changes.

3 -I'm ingesting data, there aren't frozen data.

What should I expect regarding the index from inputs.conf file?

Thank you in advance.

Mattia

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

OK. _If_ you are seeing current events in other indexes, it should mean that your "main" part of the environment is working relatively ok.

We don't have much info about your setup so we don't know whether this index you mention should contain events from multiple sources or just one source. If it's just one source, it may be that something caused that source to stop sending the events. Maybe due to turning off the forwarder or due to network problems. If it's an index gathering data from multiple sources... are you sure someone didn't delete it from your setup?

Do you see any events in this index and just don't see recent evens or do you not see any events at all, even the old ones? What are your index parameters? (size limits, retention settings).

0 Karma

MattiaP
Loves-to-Learn Lots

Hi @PickleRick,

There are multiple sources.

I see event until November, from December zero events.

Thank you,

Mattia

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Depending on how those event should be ingested I'd try to investigate if they are being properly sent to Splunk. As there are many ways of getting the data into Splunk you need to verify the particular way used in your case. Be it verifying UF connectivity, be it checking syslog traffic or whatever else.

There are no miracles. If your config didn't change and there are no events, they must have stopped "flowing".

0 Karma

rafamss
Contributor

Hi @MattiaP,

Did you validate if your license is active? If no logs are being shown, it could be related to your license.

Kind regards,
Rafael Santos

Tags (2)
0 Karma

MattiaP
Loves-to-Learn Lots

Hi @rafamss,

yes, licensi is active.

Mattia

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @MattiaP,

sorry, what's the relation between an index and MongoDB?

if you haven't events only in one index, you should check the inputs.conf that ingest data stored in that index.

The only excepton is if you have an index overriding, have you this?

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

MattiaP
Loves-to-Learn Lots

Hi @gcusello , 

thank you for answering. Index stopped working when I had problems with MongoDB so I tought it was correlated.

What should I expect to find from inputs.conf? Sorry, I'm a beginner.

ciao,

Mattia

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...