Splunk Search

I want to index fieldName which contains square brackets

pallavikarpaklu
Explorer

Hi,

I want to index a fieldName which contains square brackets

Below is the key-value pair format I have and  splunk is not indexing keys value which consists []
eg: root[60]_level[5]=value

Any suggestions?

Labels (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Square brackets are not allowed in field names.  If Splunk encounters such a field name, it will convert the unacceptable characters into underscores.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

pallavikarpaklu
Explorer

Thanks for the response.

But as I mentioned earlier  splunk is logging as root[60]_level[5]=value
[] are not converted to underscores.

Do I need to do any property changes for that ?

Suppose the conversion is done and my key is replaced with  double underscores like below "root_60__level_5_=value"
Does splunk honurs double underscore and still index the key "root_60__level_5_"?

Nisha18789
Builder

Hi @pallavikarpaklu , could you please give example of what is the actual key-value pair in log and what Splunk is indexing ?

0 Karma

pallavikarpaklu
Explorer

Sure. Below is the sample logger with two keys  "root[60]_level[5]" and "root_string".

2020-10-07 17:50:04,208 - INFO - root[60]_level[5]=value, root_string=value

root_string - This key is indexed

root[60]_level[5] - This key is not indexed.

I am open to try any kind of  key transformations but I want the key to be indexed. Please suggest.

0 Karma

Nisha18789
Builder

hi @pallavikarpaklu , could you please also provide the current props.conf/transforms.conf stanza you are using for indexing this data.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...