Splunk Search

How to plot P95,P99,P75, mean and median response times values using tstat?

dsenapaty
Explorer

Hello All,

I need help trying to generate the P95,P99,P75, mean and median response times for the below data using tstats command. Need help with the splunk query. I am dealing with a large data and also building a visual dashboard to my management. So trying to use tstats as searches are faster. Stuck with unable to find these calculations with value of Total_TT in my tstat command. Can someone help me with the query.

Sample Data:

2022-09-11 22:00:59,998 INFO -(Success:true)-(Validation:true)-(GUID:68D74EBE-CE3B-7508-6028-CBE1DFA90F8A)-(REQ_RCVD:2022-09-11T22:00:59.051)-(RES_SENT:2022-09-11T22:00:59.989)-(SIZE:2 KB)-(RespSent_TT:0ms)-(Actual_TT:938ms)-(DB_TT:9ms)-(Total_TT:947ms)-(AppServer_TT:937ms)

Labels (1)
0 Karma

jdunlea
Contributor

The data as you have provided it will unfortunately not play well with PREFIX because after the numbers, there is "ms" which converts the value to a string, so we cannot do "p99"/avg, etc using PREFIX.

What you would have to do is pull out the Total_TT values as strings, using PREFIX, and then use rtrim() to remove the "ms" at the end, and then multiply the uique values of tota_tt by the number of times they come up, before doing the average/p99, etc. Something like the following should work:

| tstats count where index=YOURINDEX sourcetype=YOURSOURCETYPE by PREFIX(total_tt:) 
| rename "total_tt:" as total_tt 
| eval total_tt=rtrim(total_tt,"ms") 
| eval total_tt_by_count=total_tt*count 
| stats avg(total_tt_by_count) as avg_total_tt p99(total_tt_by_count) as p99_total_tt median(total_tt_by_count) as median_total_tt

Let me know if that helps!

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...