Splunk Search

How to parse and extract field from my raw data?

imam28
Engager

I Have a log like this, how do I Parse it into fields?? 

imam28_1-1668996713542.png

Is there a way to use Splunk to parse this and extract one value? If so, how?

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Imam

Labels (3)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Looking at that data, it appears to be field name/field value pairs separated by line feeds, so a simple mechanism in SPL is to do

| extract kvdelim="," pairdelim="\n"

which will extract the field names/values from the _raw field

However, you should really extract these at ingest time, but that will depend on how your data is being ingested. Is the data coming in as a multi-row event. If you take a file containing a number of events, you can use the 'Add data' option to play with ingesting that data, so the fields are extracted automatically

View solution in original post

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The screenshot doesn't show any comma, or anything that clearly signifies a separation of field name from field value for @bowesmana's method to succeed.  If that is the raw log, your best bet is to go back to developers of the code and ask for better logging.  There is no excuse to write such poorly formatted logs.  If it is not raw log, you should illustrate raw data (in text, anonymize as needed).

There are some workarounds if certain assumptions holds, but they will not work 100%.

First, I assume that each line that contains a string like abc.efg represents a field name, and lines that do not contain this pattern are values.

| eval data=split(_raw, "
")
| mvexpand data
| rex field=data mode=sed "s/^([^\.]+)\.(.+)/\1_\2=/"
| stats list(data) as _raw
| eval _raw = mvjoin(_raw, " ")
| rex mode=sed "s/= /=/g"
| kv

This will (kinda) work till it gets to the line db.0.  The next line is overhead.hashtable.main. (With two dots.)  Is this a field name or a field value?  Using the above method, you'll get something like db.0=overhead.hashtable.main=14912, which the kv (extract) command will extract into field name db_0, value overhead_hashtable_main=14912.

An less versatile method could be to assume that each "odd numbered" line is a field name, other lines will be field value.

| rex mode=sed "s/\n/=/1"
| rex mode=sed "s/\n/=/2"
| rex mode=sed "s/\n/=/3"
| rex mode=sed "s/\n/=/10" ``` illustrated data seems to have 19 lines ```
| kv

Again, this kinda works till it gets to the line db.0.  It will transform into db.0=overhead.hashtable.main, and 14912.  Splunk will then extract field name db_0 with value overhead.hashtable.main, and field name 14912 with null value.

Either way, these are very tortured methods.  Application developers ought to do better logging than this.

0 Karma

imam28
Engager

where i write this command , in search or transform.conf?

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

These are all search time examples

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Looking at that data, it appears to be field name/field value pairs separated by line feeds, so a simple mechanism in SPL is to do

| extract kvdelim="," pairdelim="\n"

which will extract the field names/values from the _raw field

However, you should really extract these at ingest time, but that will depend on how your data is being ingested. Is the data coming in as a multi-row event. If you take a file containing a number of events, you can use the 'Add data' option to play with ingesting that data, so the fields are extracted automatically

0 Karma

imam28
Engager

I have followed the command, but there are some that still haven't extracted what is the solution?

imam28_0-1669362179912.png

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@imam28 

The problem you have is that db.0 has no 'value' following it on the next row, so no simple regular extraction will work.

Can you post the _raw view of that event.

Just wondering what it's showing, whether it's a multivalue field, where perhaps the "value" for db.0 is a null value, in which case it may be possible to extract it.

0 Karma

imam28
Engager

Correct, db.0 in the next raw has no value in the next raw

0 Karma

imam28
Engager

it is log event , only db.0 haven't value

imam28_1-1669608668647.png

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That is the exact problem @bowesmana and I pointed out: Poorly written logs.  You really need to ask coders to write logs that leaves no ambiguity, that is conducive to extraction by mechanical tools like Splunk.

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

My bad reading your screenshot, I saw commas - however, although you don't have commas in your data, the extract command can still separate out the line feed separators, as in this example

| makeresults
| eval _raw="peak.allocated
total.allocated
c
2"
| extract kvdelim="\n" pairdelim="\n"

but it would rely on well formatted data. However, this solution is really only a hack solution to read already ingested data like that.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...